Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Crossmember Cushion

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
I am reassembling after replacing the differential cover. I did not take note of the spacing on the rear cross-member bushing.-- to rear frame. See attached picture.
It looks wrong to me (too large about 1/8 inch) but I have nothing to compare it to. I have taken it apart and reassembled several times and both side are about the
same. So I need an expert reading on this. Thanks

OK a little different angle and distance. I created a side by side view and I am feeliing a little better. If you look at yours you will see a line I put on there pointing at the center part of the bushing. Is there a gap between the top frame and the rubber cushionon the bottom? Is so I am happy. Greate help. BTW what is the silver thing on the bottom of the crossmember?

I replaced my bushings about a year ago, although I can't remember if there's a space or not. I'll crawl under mine tonight and take a pic. I'll upload it tomorrow.

-Vic

I checked it out last night, however I didn't have enough room under there to take a pic. (I would have had to remove the wheel.)

Mine looks like yours Cwerve74. I know that my bushing is on all the way too, so don't worry about that gap. It's probably there to allow for some slight flex or to dampen vibrations.

-Vic

Thanks for the help vmrod. I took lots of pictures before I took the backend apart but missed one of the cushion. Don't know how it works either but I will leave that bit of knowledge for another time. Seems like a lot of room for flex but it must be something like that. Thanks again.

No prob.

If I remember right, when I re-installed the crossmember, the first thing that I did was to put the bushing in place and secure it lossely with the bolt. (but not tighten it) I then put the crossmember in place and used a jack to force it back up into place. Then, I tightened the bolts on the bushings (which expands them to hold the crossmember), and lastly folded the tabs down against the crossmember.

I know that my crossmember is pressed flat against the bushing (because of the jack and because I could see it), and the bushing is as close as possible to the steel above.

That's just how it is.

I take alot of pics too as I rebuild the car. (I've got them at home.) I just don't think I took a closeup of the crossmember bushings.

Have fun rebuilding!

-vic

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom