Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear End Leak

timotheous

Corvette
1992 Quazar Blue Coupe
Happened to crawl under the car last night and noticed a lot of rear end fluid around the diff, some leaking onto the exhaust but nothing on the garage floor. I wiped it off (quite a mess) some seemed pretty fresh but still no real drips. Reading through some comments on rear end leaks, I'm thinking I would take it in somewhere for repair as I don't have a hoist or tools needed to change any gaskets back there. Any recommendations on solutions or good places to take for repair? Living in Toronto, the only options I can think of are taking it to a GM Dealership or Mister Transmission. As I do most of the work on the car myself, taking it in somewhere is always a worry as few people take the care necessary to work on a vette. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

If it is leaking from the side yoke seals or pinion seals then the diff needs to disassembled to replace those.If leaking from the gasket between head and batwing that is home doable with axle stands and floor jack.
As the diff itself is nothing special any dedicated rearend shop should be able to do it cheaper than the dealer ship.
You could save money by R/R the diff itself; not a hard job for competent person who knows how to use a socket set.
DigitalCorvettes.com - C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 and C6 Corvette Corvette headquarters!

Thanks good to know. Giving it some additional thought, I remember now taking it in to a lube shop for an oil change in the spring. They offered to change the gear oil and I approved the work (never had gear oil changed, the car sits around a lot so I thought why not). I seem to recall that they had a problem getting the fill plug back in. Now with the leak, I'm thinking that the problem wasn't resolved; that maybe they crossthreaded it. If that's the case, what do you suppose are my options?

The drain plug is a PITA to access at the best on times.

Any work on the plug/ threads would mean dropping the diff as there is very little working room between plug and body to get a tap in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom