Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear End

Sean77

Corvette
1977 Light Blue L-48
First I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this forum, it has enabeled me to get through removal of rear spring and rear differential. Now the question, I checked the end play on the side yokes with the diff. removed from vehical, there is .040 on LH side and .085 on RH side. RH side is starting to mushroom over slightly on the end. What is the cause of excessive end play? Will I need to replace the side yoke and bearings, or just the side yoke.

It's usually caused by worn clutches, the end of the side yoke (from snap ring to end) is "squeezed" between the pinion shaft and the diferential gear. When the clutches is worn the distance between diferential gear and the shaft become greater, hence more sideplay. Change the clutch pack and/or shim them correct.

Sean,
If you have the original 77 yokes then they are probably soft faced as most in the 75-79 run were. They push up against the posi case cross shaft and the shaft is hardened so the ends wear down. The problem creates rear alignment play and if not corrected the yoke will grind down until it hits the housing and starts to "face" the 1/8 boss around the yoke seal. If still not corrected it will wreck the housing. I've seen some grind into the seal.
Now you may have other issues creating this endplay. If the diff is in otherwise good condition then the 040 endplay is probably ok for now, although the case hardening on then( if hardend) is only about 030" deep.
The only way to really check them is to remove them. Then measure the face to snap ring dimension and if over .180 they're still good. If under then replacing the yokes alone will not usually bring them in under 010". As stated the posi setup is important as well as the case condition both could be part of the problem. I suggest you read over my diff threads with all the pictures to help you better understand what you have there.
Good luck,
Gary

Thanks for the info. guys, I'll pull the yokes and check the length. I am almost certain that these are original. The rest of it looks good to my untrained eye, don't see wear on the ring and pinion, and did not notice any metal in the lube that I drained out. Looks like ya just need to pull the C-clip off and they should slide out.

Take the snap ring off and the yokes slide out. IF the end is mushroomed pretty bad it might get a little ugly, but they usually come right out.

Rgr. that Tim, I might knock it down a little if it is too high to slide out.

UPS came today, new yoke well within spec. Hopefully just the "soft" faces wore, and not a clutch pack problem. Did play hell getting old one out because of the rolled up edge.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom