Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Hatch Ticking Noise

Rogue

Corvette
1991 Turquoise Metallic Coupe
My 1991 seems to have three sources of interior noise:

The drivers side mirror vibrating.
The exhaust resonance.
And a "ticking" noise coming from the rear hatch area.

The ticking sounds like something is hitting either the metal latch or glass. It happens when the car is riding on bumpy pavement and/or uneven concrete slabs so common out here in Southern California's freeway system. It's very annoying and I would like to fix the problem.

Has anybody ever had this same problem? If so, have you figured out how to fix it or what part needs to be replaced to eliminate the ticking noise? Sounds to me like a loose latch, that's all but I'm not 100% sure.

Would appreciate any help.

I've had two noises similar to your's. The rattle in the back hatch was a missing screw in the plastic trim that goes around where the shade pulls out of. Also check the glass for a secure latch when it's closed. Tired hatch rubber will alow the glass to rattle on the latch. Adjust the catch or replace the rubber.

The exhaust was the heat shield that is secured to the top of the CAT. A nut and bolt had loosened up with the heating and cooling of the exhaust over time just enough to make it rattle. I found it buy banging my fist on the CAT. Every hit made the buzz.
Check it out...two cheep fixes exept for the rubber replacement.

TriTown said:
I've had two noises similar to your's. The rattle in the back hatch was a missing screw in the plastic trim that goes around where the shade pulls out of. Also check the glass for a secure latch when it's closed. Tired hatch rubber will alow the glass to rattle on the latch. Adjust the catch or replace the rubber.

Thanks. Appreciate it. I can't seem to find the hatch rubber. Available at Chevy dealer or one of the big Corvette catalogs? If so, what's it called?

Sorry I should have been more specific. I ment the seal the glass closes on.

This is no joke: put somebody back there and cruise around. I would suggest a 90 pound female Russian gymnast. Or a small teenager. Promise them a trip to Baskin Robbins and tell them to "find the noise" for their treat.

I have no advice on what to tell the gymnast. I don't speak Russian.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom