Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Speakers and Stereo in 81

R

rbell@idtfla.com

I am in the process of restoring my 81. I pulled out the original rear speakers and found that they were dry rotted and shot. I bought a set of Jensen Tri-Axels to replace rthem but of course the wiring is not standard. I have a Brown and Yellow on the drivers side and a Blue and Light Blue on the passenger. Any Ideas which one of these is the + wire? Also I understand that the original Delco Speakers are 10 Ohm, all of the new ones are 4 ohm. What problems does that present?

Thanks for any help.

You haven't tried to put them in the hole yet, have you Bob?? Mine has newer (bigger) speakers laying in the back. Cheesy radio, don't turn it on very often - someday I'll get it all upgraded with a CD player, by then everybody will have an MP3 player - whatever they are!! The thing about Vettes is they have a very tiny interior, don't really need a whole lot of power there. I've never really looked at the wiring to them, when I get the chance I'll check it out. Good luck!

Craig

Bob, you should be able to go into your local library and find possible a Chiltons or Haines manual for your car. Maybe even a local autoparts store for the Chilton's. There's a wiring breakdown in any of those books. Or, some searches on Google or even here at the CAC could likely net you the info you are requesting.

I did some quick searching here in the CAC C3 forums. Came up with this link:
Wiring Diagrams -> Radio Wiring
The radio wiring looks correct, but I couldn't easily discern the polarity. Send a PM to Mac. He at one time had the wiring diagram for his '73. I don't think the color codes changed between 73 and 81.

You might also post your question in the L81 section, as someone there might see your question and have the answer for ya.

Looking at the diagram yellow and light blue would be the positive wires.

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom