Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recall...Roofs Flying Off

JonM

Corvette
84 Coupe
Corvette tops flying off, leading to recall
Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. is giving new meaning to the term "drop top."

The automaker is recalling more than 30,000 Corvettes because of a defect that causes the roof of the pricey sports car to fly off while driving. GM discovered the problem last year, and asked customers to have the problem fixed at dealerships.

But after 21 complaints were filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and GM learned the glitch also affected 2006 models, the company issued a formal recall Friday.

It affects 2005 and 2006 Corvette models that have painted, removable hard tops, which come on about 40 percent of the $45,000 sport coupes.

The recall is embarrassing for GM, which prizes the Corvette as one of its best engineered and designed vehicles.

The Corvette's hard top is comprised of a magnesium frame and hard plastic roof panel and weighs between 5 and 10 pounds. The roof panel has blown off when adhesive that attaches the roof to a frame separates, GM spokesman Alan Adler said.

No one has been injured or killed as a result of the glitch, he said.

While GM should be commended for issuing a recall, highway safety advocate Clarence Ditlow worries the defect could be deadly if it is not fixed quickly.
"Every year, road debris kills a significant but unknown number of people," said Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Automotive Safety in Washington.

A flying roof panel, he said, could pose an especially grave threat to drivers. "You do not want to hit a 10 lb. object at 70 miles per hour."

Also Friday, Germany's Volkswagen AG said it will recall 362,000 Jetta sedans and Beetles because of a faulty brake light switch.

The flaw -- affecting 1999 to 2002 Jetta models, 1999 to 2000 Jetta III models and 1998 to 2002 Beetles -- may cause the vehicles' brake lights not to work or to remain on.

You can reach Brett Clanton at (313) 222-2612 or bclanton@detnews.com.

Since they admitted this small error, maybe they can seize the moment to correct the license frame, too, and just get one black eye for two goofs. It's a wicked, wonderful, awesome and beautiful car, so why leave a turd on the bumper when it's hat flies off?

Mercury news...

May 26, 2006
GM issues recall for 30,000 Corvettes
Associated Press
DETROIT - General Motors Corp. is recalling more than 30,000 Chevrolet Corvettes because of a defect that causes detachable roofs to fly off while driving.
The recall issued this past week affects certain 2005-2006 models with painted roofs. The adhesive between the roof panel and magnesium frame may separate, GM spokesman Alan Adler told The Detroit News.
The Corvette's hard top weighs between five and 10 pounds. If there is a complete separation, the roof panel may detach from the vehicle and it could strike another vehicle.
"You do not want to hit a 10-pound object at 70 miles per hour," Adler said.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received 21 complaints from owners of the sports car. No one has been injured or killed as a result of the glitch, Adler said.
Corvette owners affected by the recall can get a free inspection and repair, if needed, at their local dealership.

Here we go again.
:ugh -Bill.

BTW this includes the C6 z06, fixed roofs. This includes all ROOF (painted) roof panels, detachable and fixed.

What is the VIN# range? Where is GM's offical announcement with VIN#s????

My top just blew off.

Rob said:
Corvette tops flying off, leading to recall

My top blew off at 30 mph. The warning sign is an overhead rattle at low speeds with the windows up and the air on. This causes the cockpit to pressurize, slightly lift the top where it has begun to separate, and vibrate at its resonant frequency. It will actually quiet down at higher speeds.

My VIN is not include in the "GM Bulletin #05112" which is now up to modification "c" according to my Chevy service manager. I heard the rattle and drove into the service bay at my local dealer. Since I was outside the included VIN's, they suggested making an appointment for their technician to inspect it the following week. It blew off two days later.

If you hear "the rattle" your local GM service rep can pop the top out of its magnesium frame and apply an improved adhesive. I would recommend taking the top off immediately if the car is to be driven. According to the NHTSA Campaign #06V181000, "OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438."
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Gorgon said:
What kind of double speak is that?
It wasn't doublespeak, just poor grammar. He could have said "... road debris kills a significant number of people, but we don't know exactly how many." There's a lot of that in government these days.

On a more serious note, my roof panel blew off and landed on the sidewalk in downtown Sarasota. I was lucky no one was hit. Anyone with a C6 painted roof that hears "the rattle" above their head should whip out their six-shooter and kill that snake.

At CruiseFest Wil Cooksey indicated it was an earlier problem that has been taken care of in subsequent production. From what I've read lately, that doesn't seem like the case. Now roofs seem to be blowing off later production cars. Wonder what the next move will be?:confused

roof

Hope this recall does not filter down to 04's later on. What a stupid problem, really. [I have only had my roof out twice since I got the car two years ago. Once to ad the roof striping, and once to check to see if the molding was still ok after 2 years.] It was such a nice day I drove it a few miles with the roof out, and once again concluded that I am not a vert. guy. I hate wind noise and suntan lotion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom