Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

RECALL

jimmie jam

Corvette
2007 convertible A6, F55, 3LT, nav.
has anyone had the control arm washer/bushing recall done on an 04? it is necessary? thanks.

Yes I have had the recall on my '04 done. When I took it in, I stood beside the car and watched the whole operation. It's actually a nut with a washer attached and took approximately 5 min. each for the front. He didn't even have to remove the front wheels and got it from behind. Well the rear was totally a different deal. First the rear wheels had to come off and then calipers, rotors top ball joint nut, disconnect stabilizer bar and leaf spring. It took him 1 hr a side. It was the only way to get access to the rear lower nut. He told me only 1% of Vettes are effected and the real issue is the torque of those nuts. Before he removed the nuts he checked the torque of all the lower control arm nuts. Mine was torqued right but he replaced all the lower nuts anyways.
So if your going to wait for it, it will be a couple of hours. Get it done, don't take any unnecessary chances. It would be a heck of a thing if something bad happened and it was discovered loose, missing or broken lower control arms was at fault and you didn't respond to the recall.:duh

As Larry The Cable Guy would say "Git-R-Done!"
Doug;)

abowtieguy said:
Yes I have had the recall on my '04 done. When I took it in, I stood beside the car and watched the whole operation. It's actually a nut with a washer attached and took approximately 5 min. each for the front. He didn't even have to remove the front wheels and got it from behind. Well the rear was totally a different deal. First the rear wheels had to come off and then calipers, rotors top ball joint nut, disconnect stabilizer bar and leaf spring. It took him 1 hr a side. It was the only way to get access to the rear lower nut. He told me only 1% of Vettes are effected and the real issue is the torque of those nuts. Before he removed the nuts he checked the torque of all the lower control arm nuts. Mine was torqued right but he replaced all the lower nuts anyways.
So if your going to wait for it, it will be a couple of hours. Get it done, don't take any unnecessary chances. It would be a heck of a thing if something bad happened and it was discovered loose, missing or broken lower control arms was at fault and you didn't respond to the recall.:duh

As Larry The Cable Guy would say "Git-R-Done!"
Doug;)

doug,

thanks for the heads up on this. this sounds like a big deal/issue. i'm perplexed that you and one other are the only response i've received on my post. perhaps not all 04's are affected. i don't like the sound of having to take the rear of the car apart to get to a "nut". anyway, thanks again my friend!

j.jam

JJ,
No notice received here......must not be affected. Thanks for the info though...

Your welcome Jimmy. Like I said in my post the tech. told me only 1% of '04 Vettes are effected but GM wants to have them all checked out and replace for safety reasons. He told me that those effected have loose lower control arm nuts. The first thing he did was put a torque wrench on the nuts and check how tight they were before replacing them all.

68Roadster, I would phone a dealer with your VIN# and have them check just to make sure yours is not effected. Like I said before, It's better to be safe then sorry. I hate the idea of going to the dealer, but when I have too I stand beside the car and keep out of the way and keep my eyes on my baby. I might be lucky but the dealer I go to has no problems for a customer to watch over there pride and joy.

Good luck.
Doug;)

I don't know if it is neccessary, but I received the recall and had it done. I didn't want to take any chances.

Called my dealer today to see if there were any recalls for my 04. He said nothing listed for my vin number.:confused Chuck

mtdriver said:
I don't know if it is neccessary, but I received the recall and had it done. I didn't want to take any chances.

mtdriver,

what are the last 6 or 8 of your vin ? if you don't mind. (you can pm me if you like). just trying to figure out why not all were recalled. thanks.

j. jam

Only early model 04s are affected by this recall. My car was built on 2-5-04 and I got a recall notice shortly after buying the car. After a certain build date, the upgraded parts were installed on the production line. If you haven't got a recall notice, either your car is not affected or the recall has been done. If you want to be sure, have your dealer check your VIN for any outstanding recalls. By the way, it only took about an hour and a half to have the recall completed on my car. This is one recall you should have done. I recently saw on another forum a breakdown of the VINs affected by this recall. If I can find the information, I will post it here.

I found the recall information, so here it is. It is Recall Bulletin 04043-Lower Control Arm Ball Stud Washer.

Models affected:
2004 Corvette VIN 45118579-45127798
2004 Cadillac CTS VIN 40148760-40183479
SRX VIN 40148762-40183477
XLR VIN 45601754-45603310

Hope this info helps.

Jim M

jim m,

thanks for the information. by the way MY car was ALSO built on 2/5/04!!!! (21216) :)

j. jam

It's not affecting all early '04's...
My build date is 9/15/03, VIN starts with 4510 and I haven't rec'd any notices whatsoever.
I do appreciate the info though...

68Roadster said:
It's not affecting all early '04's...
My build date is 9/15/03, VIN starts with 4510 and I haven't rec'd any notices whatsoever.
I do appreciate the info though...

I think you are correct, it may not just be early models. Maybe it's related to the suspension or other options that came on the car. I truthfully don't know. My apologies for posting incorrect information. However, I do think the VIN list I posted is correct.

Jim M

My vin is also 4510 and the dealers says no recalls on it. Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom