Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Reccomended ground clearance

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
I am running into some problems with trying to obtain quiet mufflers for my car(quieter) I had wanted to come out the sides with my headers and then run custom sidepipes, but I have been told that I won't get it quiet enough
My frame has been triangulated underneath for drag racing purposes and this only reduces clearance for me under the car
My car won't be driven on really rough roads, but I still have to get over curbs and the occasioanal road dip. I don't want to hear it bottoming out on the exhaust
How low are some of you guys running your exhaust and what spots/areas do you think will be most prone to hit? I though the worst spot would be behind the front tire to the front of the door
Does anyone know of a quieter side pipe or muffler system?? This car will get attention. but I just don't want unecessary attention due to offensive sounding exhaust....deep and powerful is OK too loud is too much
thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

Surprisingly, Hooker sidemounts with "new" slip-in mufflers aren't too bad. Don't judge them by what mine sounds like. ;) However, you may prefer to stay with your header design.

As for clearance, the problem spot for me is the bottom radius of the scattershield lip which is just 4" above the road surface. If I take a parking lot speed bump too quickly, the car drops the scattershield lip on the speed bump and just about cracks my skull. I ease over them and let the car settle before proceeding.

I don't think I've bottom out on the streets, but maybe I just can't hear it. :D

Hello
I am running into some problems with trying to obtain quiet mufflers for my car(quieter) I had wanted to come out the sides with my headers and then run custom side pipes, but I have been told that I won't get it quiet enough
My frame has been triangulated underneath for drag racing purposes and this only reduces clearance for me under the car
My car won't be driven on really rough roads, but I still have to get over curbs and the occasional road dip. I don't want to hear it bottoming out on the exhaust
How low are some of you guys running your exhaust and what spots/areas do you think will be most prone to hit? I though the worst spot would be behind the front tire to the front of the door
Does anyone know of a quieter side pipe or muffler system?? This car will get attention. but I just don't want unnecessary attention due to offensive sounding exhaust....deep and powerful is OK too loud is too much
thanks
Tom

Wow. I'm not sure if "side pipes" and "quiet" can exist together. Maybe BarryK can chime in with some thoughts on C2s and side exhaust.

I know this- "side pipes" and "quiet" don't exist together on my Vette!:L

I'd recommend the Raven pipes from Midas. They sell traditional single in / single out pipes. They sound deep and strong... not loud either. I ran with a set on a Z28 and I was happy.

Hello
Thanks for your replies. I have never heard 67 Heavens car so I don't know how loud it is. Are the new Hooker inserts quieter than the old ones?
I had planned to go over the frame rail with my headers and out the sides. I don't have a heater, steering box, motor mount brackets off the frame or any clutch mechanism to be in the way. I had side pipe headers but since my motor is centered and on a different angle they just don't fit. I have a Hooker weld up kit
I have not heard of the Raven pipes from Midas, bt I will try to do a google search on them
thanks
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom