Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

recomended shop manual

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
I would like to buy a more indepth shop manual and I am wondering which one I should get. I already have the haynes 68-82 repair manual, but I find that lacking information. I have found a 1981 corvette service manual, but it is $90, a bit much for me. I also see a 66-82 corvette shop manual for $25, but it is almost the same size as the '81 shop manual. Do think the "Schechter 1966-82 shop manual" would be any improvement over the haynes I already have? It is 8" X 10 3/4" large, and I think it sounds like a good deal, does anyone have this manual? Is it a good buy? Is the full 1981 service manual worth $90? Thanks for any information.

Shop Manual

The Helms GM shop manual is the best IMO. You can usually find them on Ebay for less than 90 bucks. I didn't worry about the book being in the best of shape as long as all the pages are there. You're gonna get it dirty anyway. I think I paid around 35 for mine, a great book.

Chuck

IMO the factory service manual is the way to go. The other manuals are good for getting a "second opinion" but 99% of the time I follow my factory manual. Unless you're in a big hurry, just be patient and you'll find one on ebay for a fair price. I paid $35.00 for mine at a local swap meet a few years back.

Also if you don't already have one, the factory assembly manual is worth the $20.00 price tag. Its shows you how to tear things apart and put them back together without having left over parts:)

Hope this helps, Zane:Steer

Thanks for the opinions all, I guess Ill just have to stop being cheap and fork up the money hehehe. And yes I do already have the assembly manual as well.. it showed me how to put on my mahogany steering wheel! Thanks again.

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom