Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Reinstalling airpump/ac compressor on '81. Need help!

rilko

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue
I'm a newbie on the CAC and a new proud owner of an '81!!!! The car came with air pump and A/C system removed. I have ALL the parts, including brackets, in a box! I'm thinking about putting everything back to original. I'm having one heck of a time figuring out how the brackets were originally installed! Is there anywhere I could get detailed info/pictures on how the brackets were installed and proper vacuum hose hookup for pump? Anyone willing to snap a few closeups with air cleaner assembly off? Any help would be really appreciated. THANX!

Welcome!

Welcome to the :CAC and congrats on your new purchase:lou I am sure someone will be along soon to help with your install. I would suggest that you get a service manual anyway, as you will probably be needing it on future projects and problems. They are money well spent:)

I'm a newbie on the CAC and a new proud owner of an '81!!!! The car came with air pump and A/C system removed. I have ALL the parts, including brackets, in a box! I'm thinking about putting everything back to original. I'm having one heck of a time figuring out how the brackets were originally installed! Is there anywhere I could get detailed info/pictures on how the brackets were installed and proper vacuum hose hookup for pump? Anyone willing to snap a few closeups with air cleaner assembly off? Any help would be really appreciated. THANX!
This is close to the end of the line of the St Louis cars,Hope it Helps !!:upthumbs

rilko ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

:w

Hopefully the photo's provided by "Junk" will help, if not and you are not in a great big hurry, I suggest buying a 1981 Assembly Manual. You can get them off Ebay for around $25 or so. I just looked at mine and it has really good photo's of the mounting hardware for the Air Pump, Alternator, Air Cond. etc.. and routing for belts and hoses ;)

My scanner has :puke otherwise I could scan a few of the pages for you... Also investing in a GM 1981 Shop Manual is almost mandatory for working on these cars ;)

Here are a couple of Ebay links for strickly 1981 Corvettes ;)

Bud

Hopefully the photo's provided by "Junk" will help,..... Also investing in a GM 1981 Shop Manual is almost mandatory for working on these cars ;)

Bud
I agree with the Manual, But you know me Bud!!! Anything to help a New Shark Man, I'm STILL a Shark Man at Heart even though I don't drive mine much since I got the C5!!! Heck, a C5 ain't nothing but a Fat Shark thats been on a High "Horse Meat" Diet!!! If you catch my Drift!!!;LOL :rotfl
:upthumbs

junk!!

Your pics re: air pump/AC COMP

This is close to the end of the line of the St Louis cars,Hope it Helps !!:upthumbs

Hi!

WOW!

I was TOTALLY amazed at the quick response by my new fellow Vette lovers! It's fantastic to know that there are people out there who are willing to share their passion!!!! Your pics REALLY helped ... I got the pump back in this aft!
The A/C compressor is a bit more of a challenge .... not sure if I have all brackets and it's hard to see install from pics - too much machinery!. I will try and get a shop manual. Once gain .... THANX a bunch for your help. I hope I can help someone out someday like you did!

Hi!

WOW!

I was TOTALLY amazed at the quick response by my new fellow Vette lovers! It's fantastic to know that there are people out there who are willing to share their passion!!!! Your pics REALLY helped ... I got the pump back in this aft!
The A/C compressor is a bit more of a challenge .... not sure if I have all brackets and it's hard to see install from pics - too much machinery!. I will try and get a shop manual. Once gain .... THANX a bunch for your help. I hope I can help someone out someday like you did!
I'll take some more photos of the A/C Compressor tomorrow in the daylight!!:lou :cool It's not going anywhere soon,it's out back with the front knocked off of it!!:L

junk!!

welcome to CAC!!!enjoy the vette and the forums!!!!

Sorry!!!! I'm Late,Been Crazy around here!!:crazy :upthumbs

junk!!

Hopefully the photo's provided by "Junk" will help, if not and you are not in a great big hurry, I suggest buying a 1981 Assembly Manual. You can get them off Ebay for around $25 or so. I just looked at mine and it has really good photo's of the mounting hardware for the Air Pump, Alternator, Air Cond. etc.. and routing for belts and hoses ;)

My scanner has :puke otherwise I could scan a few of the pages for you... Also investing in a GM 1981 Shop Manual is almost mandatory for working on these cars ;)

Bud
I also have the shop manual for my 81, which I purchased when I got the car new in 81 and have a working scanner. What is you status relating to re-installing air pump & A/C compressor? Do you also have the lines from and to the A/C Compressor? Has the compressor been open to air (fitting ports and other line connection points, etc), if so you may be facing the need for compressor re-build / servicing to insure it isn't froze-up, rust, other contaminates, O'rings are missing / lines dried out or cracked, etc. You may be better off taking all the bits and pieces to a A/C shop that knows Vets to get everything sorted out. You will need to consider that the system has to be converted to the new / approved freon. Had my 81 A/C converted about a year or so ago , cost ~$150. found out that my compressor was due for replacement (metal chips in filter), especially if it was run dry(freon leaks out and you loose the oil). I can scan some of the shop manual pages if that can help. You will also find that a number of hoses / line route through the brackets that mount the Air pump & A/C Compressor mounts area to make things more interesting. E-mail mail me with specific areas of intrerest or need at cddmhr@peoplepc.com.

AC reinstall continues

My project to reinstall the AC system continues. I wanted to first of all thank Junk officially in this forum for providing the fantastic photos. Without them, reinstallation of the brackets would have been difficult. I have the brackets for both the airpump and AC compressor reinstalled. Regarding the AC reinstall, the original owner installed new heater hoses and removed the small right angle pipe fitting that routes hose around block. I am about to reinstall it as the comp. bracket hits the hose right now. Need to drain rad for this part of project. After that I can start installing compressor and all the remaining associated parts. I am on the hunt for a shop manual as well. All of the parts (hoses, pipes, comp., evaporator, etc) have been sitting in a box for 10 years now without being sealed or plugged off. According to Rare81 I need to deal with this before reinstalling them. One other last thing, does anyone know where I might be able to get the small corrugated snorkel hose that goes between the airpump and the aircleaner assembly? You can see it in one of Junk's pics. THANX!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom