Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Remove control arm

Doug76

Corvette
1976 Corvette
I am currently rebuilding the front end on my 1976 Corvette. All has gone as expected, so far. I removed the upper and lower arms on driver side. But I can't remove the upper control arm on passenger side because the fan shroud is interfering. My question is: do I have to remove the radiator or can I remove the six support bolts from the fender wells and push the radiator and ac forward to gain clearance? By pushing the radiator forward, do I have to remove the transmission coolant lines and/or any other hoses?

Thanks in advance - any help is greatly appreciated

Press out the bolts holding the upper A arm dog bone, they are held in by a very short straight knurl. I'm doing the same thing to my '72 right now and ran into the same thing although by removing the top 2 shroud bolts I was able to get the A arm out. Wouldn't hurt to replace the bolts anyhow, they were included in a 42 piece cup washer/bolt/lock washer/lock nuts kit that replaces all mounting bolts for all 4 of the dog bones/shafts. $40

Dad- Thanks for the great idea with only one small problem - previous owner, instead of spending a few bucks for new bolts, spot-welded the old bolts in place..

Is there any way to remove fan shroud without disrupting the radiator and AC unit?? I hate to get into moving those if I don't have to....

Thanks!!

The early '76 has a shroud extension held on with 6 bolts that may be moved to remove the arm, later shroud is one piece. Can't tell what you may need to do to remove the arm other wise, after seeing some of the bolts I removed I'd still replace them, welded or not.Good luck

If the upper studs were welded in then I suspect they were spinning while an alignment was being done. Those were still avail from GM the last I checked. I know the front suspension kit I bought 10 years ago from a well know vendor(known for parts being back ordered) didn't supply those bolts. I called and spoke to the son of the owner who told me they just use plain bolts in their kit, which will spin during a shim install. I used the new GM studs.

If you haven't removed the radiator from your car and you're going through the whole front end I suggest you consider it. One you will be able to get the upper arm out but the radiator supports are very prone to rot out in the bottom corners. Many times you don't know it until there is a hole in the support. You may be able to repair it to save it. If you decide to do this then remove the hood, have a helper and remove the radiator,support,and shroud as one- makes it very easy to do. OR just cut out the old studs and see if the holes are still good with the new studs.

Good luck

If the upper studs were welded in then I suspect they were spinning while an alignment was being done. Those were still avail from GM the last I checked. I know the front suspension kit I bought 10 years ago from a well know vendor(known for parts being back ordered) didn't supply those bolts. I called and spoke to the son of the owner who told me they just use plain bolts in their kit, which will spin during a shim install. I used the new GM studs. (snip)Good luck
Can't agree more, not so well known Corvette parts vendor ships complete order with correct bolts and was ordered on Fri. night, received complete order 3 days later USPS. Most of the big name vendors are no longer considered unless I have months to wait and can put up with the lack of good information on delivery. What I can't get from Rock Auto, that they don't supply, goes to them.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up removing the radiator and shroud after removing the hood (with an assist from my helper/wife!). It was very easy to remove the upper control arm once they were out of the way. Since I have the radiator out, it will be going in for service!

Appreciate your words of wisdom!!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom