Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Remove front upper control arm-- Easy question

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
I am replacing the front control arm busings on my 74. I have everything off the control arms. The upper control arm will not clear the engine block as I slide it off the bolts. The question is " are the bolts that go thru the control arm welded to the frame?" Should I be able to slide the bolt thru the frame to give me enough clearence to pull out the control arm? Suggestion?

cwerve74 said:
The question is " are the bolts that go thru the control arm welded to the frame?" Should I be able to slide the bolt thru the frame to give me enough clearence to pull out the control arm? Suggestion?
They're a press fit, not welded. The bolts have a serrated shank on them and will need to be tapped out of position. Careful not to damage the treads.

I was looking at my big hammer and the air tools. Before I put some power to them I need to know what I've got. This may be a chalange since 30 years of oxidation on a serrated shank will not let go easily. I think PB Blaster over nite is called for also. Thanks for the help.

I just removed my upper and lower A-arms a couple of weeks ago. Other than having trouble getting the ball joints to let go, it was simple and straight forward. I am replacing them with the Vette Brakes tubular A-arms. I didn't have any trouble getting upper A-ams off, but my engine is out of the car. I hadn't thought that it would be in the way, but I guess so. I'd be reluctant to knock those bolts/studs out, but it sounds as if you don't have any choice.

You could take the motor mount(s) loose and jack up the engine until the A-arm had enough room to slide off. Just a thought.

A little PBblaster and 2 good hits with a subtantiial tool and a rig I made so the bolt was protected( just a couple of nuts on the bolt) and out they came. Easy when you put the force in the correct direction. Have similar question for the lower CR and I opened another thread.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom