Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Removing driver's side mirror

1991-C4

Corvette
1991 C4
I know this seems pretty picky, but my driver's side mirror rattles! The motor works just fine, but the mirror itself is loose. Is there any way to remove the mirror without shattering it to pieces to see if there is anything I can actually fix? I have checked a few auto parts sites and see that I can replace it for about $20, but that's about a third of a tank of premium these days! I guess I should let some of the moths out of my wallet and just get the new mirror, eh?

The mirror class can be removed by prying it out by prying behind the glass with some type of non-metal stick (so you don't crack the glass). It's held to the drive motor by a crossbar device (buy a pair from MAM for $10).
After removing the glass you'll likely find that one or more screws is loose (screws that hold the motor mount to the housing).
Press it all back together carefully (use new crossbars - they age and can break). Pry carefully too - new class is costly and may need to be custom made.
A complete mirror assembly is YE GODS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and then must be painted.
Consider how much the rattling really annoys you.
Mine's been rattling for 10 years, I just put the top down and/or turn the radio up. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom