Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing SRS (airbag) in Steering Wheel ('90)

Spinman

Corvette
1990 C4 L98 Coupe (original owner)
I'm in the process of checking the wiring for my horns (steering wheel horn switches do not work) and need to remove the airbag from the steering wheel.

1) Might anyone know the size and style of bolt heads used to hold the bag in the wheel. It appears to be a 5 sided hex nut - as opposed to a torx nut. Difficult to see what it is exactly...Looks like I'll need a new socket driver once I figure out what it is.

2) I've disconnected the battery cable for that past day - to permit the SRS system to discharge the capacitors (vs. 1/2 hr recommened by the manual) - to prevent accidential firing of the system. Reading the shop manual, it says to disconnect a cable at the bottom of the steering column and to insert some sort of safety plug into the circuit. Is this overkill? Anything else I should be careful of while disconnecting, moving and reconnecting the air bag? Static Electricity?

To answer my own question - I finally got a T-30 bit to fit the screws and removed the air bag. In addition to disconnecting the battery, I also pulled the airbag fuse.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom