Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing Water Spots

P

PDR VETTE

Help! What can I used to remove water spots from the exterior finish. I washed the car the following day after it got wet from a brokend freeway sprinkler head. I used the Zaino car wash at almost full strength and also tried household white vinegar with little success. Any ideas???????

What a problem! White vinegar would be my last but it should have worked choice. I have a hard time believing that vinegar would not remove hard water deposits collected from sraying.

My suggestion is for you to call the dude who handles the local water supply and ask him if there were any additives in that non-potable water that could contribute to non-removable spots. You may have some weird insurance claim to handle if the spots are that bad!

Short of all this, you might try a polish that is kind to clearcoat finishes. Try that on a small area that is normally out of site. Keep us posted about your success.

Ted

If the marks are into the finish, sometimes swirl remover is the last resort. It will take the top portion of the clearcoat that contains the mark off. There are a number of brands. Just follow the directions and don't apply excess pressure. Let the product do the job. It's more aggressive than wax/polish, which may or may not work.

You coud always color sand your finish with 2000 grit paper, eagle or meguiars paper is the best.. Water sand the finish until it is completely dull, you will be sure to remove all hard waters pots as well as any scratches and texture your finish might have. Buff with a 1750 rpm buffer, start off with a wool pad and a good synthetic compound like 3M perfect it 3, buff out all scratches to a shiny "swirly " finish. Next use a foam compounding pad and the synthetic compound. Next use a foam waffle polishing pad like 3M # 05725 and 3m glaze # 05996. Clean car and Wax with your choice. What you have in a sense done is removed any delaminated part of your finish and restored it to better than new! Water spots will come off a super slick finish a whole lot easier than a slightly delaminated finish! I get as many compliments on my cars finish as i do the car!!

PDR VETTE-

I think I've found magic for your spotting problem. For months I've been thinking about working on my wife's Honda. It has major overspay from a cheap paint shop. The finish has been crapped up for at least a year. Anyway I have been dreading breaking out the polishing compound and electric buffer.

Somewhere on this site I remembered reading about using clay to restore finishes without harming clearcoat. Wow! just the thing. I found Clay Magic at the local autoparts store. Runs about $10. The box contains a wad of green clay (about 3/8"x 3"x5" plus a bottle of some type of oil that slicks the surface up, allowing you to move the clay easily over the surface, removing overspray and typical crud like tar, etc.

I AM AMAZED. I've been doing backyard polishing, painting for years and I have never seen any product like this. I cleaned about a 6'x1' area cause I was not really sure how this product worked. Anyway I sprayed a small amount over the surface, took the clay in my palm and lightly worked the surface as I usually do with Wet-or-dry sandpaper. UNBELIEVABLE! I ran the clay in circular motions for no more than 5-10 cycles, ran my hand skeptically over the area and it felt like a new car finish! I'm going to do the whole car tomorrow. I'll bet it takes less time than applying a good wax. I still don't understand how such few movements of the clay can remove overspray so easily. Last year I worked the trunk with polishing compound for about 1/2 hr. and I did not receive results even near this. Does anyone know if the compound contains anything other than clay? ... or is it something in the oily-type spray?

I would love to know how this works for you PDR VETTE.

Ted

A 6' x 1' area?! I was not than enthusiastic. I meant 6" x 1' area. Who cares, huh?

I've had good luck with Megulars Scratch-X. It removed water spots and light scratches. Apply just like wax, let it dry and buff off. Works wonders.

Jason

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom