Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repair book for 'modern era' C4, C5 & C6

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
I was at a bookstore the other day and found a new project book that shows how to do some repair work on what they call 'modern era' Corvettes. They call the book repair tips for C4, C5 & C6. All of the illustrations show using a C5 as an example. I was wondering if the C5 & C6 are very closely related to a C4 in performing these repairs. The book is by Motorworks. Are they all that closely related?

I cant Chime in here, but you can put a kit on a C4 to make it look like a C5
I have been wondering this same thing. Not having any experience with a C5
Like it looks like the exhaust could be used you would just have no spare not sure but man it looks close in my mind ;shrug

No not all. The C5 & C6 have similar engines (LS). So repairs in this area would be very similar. The C4 is very different in area's such as the engine/transmission & computer controls. The C4 had 4 engine variants alone. The crossfire, the TPI which were both gen 1 small blocks with different fuel injection units, and the LT1/LT4 which were gen 2 engines. Very few parts are interchangeble between Gen 1 & Gen 2 Then you had the LT5 which is no where close to being similar to any of the others. The computer controls in C4's were OBD1 compliant up until the very last few yrs when They went to OBD2. I guess if you were performing very basic tasks such as oil changes or doing a fiberglass repair, it could cross all the different corvette era's.
I would highly recommend buying a factory service manual for your specific yr corvette. It will have trouble shooting that pertains exactly to your cars computer controls, give you very good information on doing any and all maintenance including interior and exterior repairs, transmission, engine, suspension, brakes and tires. I earn my living turning wrenches, FSM's are a necessary tool to do the job right the first time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom