Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replace brake pads

lrh

Corvette
1976 white Coupe
I have seen the piston holding clips in the catalogs but is there any other ideas for holding the piston in while I put the new pad in?

Well, there is definitely an 'art' to it! You might try using the old pad to hold the pistons in enough to slip the new one in (in conjuction with a screwdriver). This is actually the 'easiest' way to defeat those obstinate pistons. This is one of the more annoying things to do on a vette. You can push one in, but then the other one pops out. Also try canting the pistons back just enough to let you slip the new pad past their leading edge, then force them in the rest of the way. I know, it sounds easy on paper, but it's a PITA when you're doing it. Good luck!

I've used the clips before and they work well. It is a major PITA without them or something similar. Good luck.

Save the Wave, :w

Michel

Could someone please explain what these clips are, and where I can buy them?
Thanks

Could someone please explain what these clips are, and where I can buy them?
Thanks

They snap on the caliper, and hold the pistons back while you remove/replace the pads; all the Corvette parts vendors have them.

:beer

They snap on the caliper, and hold the pistons back while you remove/replace the pads; all the Corvette parts vendors have them.

:beer

Can I get by with using a regular old C-clamp to compress the pistons, or do I need any other specialty tools?

Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom