Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement shock question on '96

G

GILB

Hi folks,

A quick question re. original equipment shocks on a '96 LT4 and appropriate replacements. I have 56K miles on the car and purchased it last fall with no mechanical history so I don't know if the shocks are original or not, it's feeling like it's time for a change and their leaking so I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

A local vette shop told me that if they're Bilstein's they do leak a little and that's normal. Since the car has the basic suspension package, I assumed they're not Bilsteins. Well I took a look and the shock says Delco and Bilstein. Hmmm....

First two questions... is it normal for Bilsteins to leak some and did Chevy put Bilsteins in cars that didn't have an adjustable suspension? That is, are these stock shocks?

As far as replacement shocks, do folks recommend Bilsteins or are they overkill for this car and should I go with something less expensive and perhaps a little smoother for day to day driving?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

- Mike

Yeah they ..leak

More like sweat not full globs of oil but a film is ok.

When in doubt replace em.

Mike

what rpo suspension code do you have, FE1 or FE3?

Don't have any idea on the RPO code. It's as basic as you can get I guess.

I have FE1 (base suspension) and it came with Bilsteins. I just replaced them last summer. Actually, you can have them rebuilt. I did not know that at the time and will probably get my original ones rebuilt (a lot stiffer).

But, yes base suspension did get Bilsteins.

Thanks for the responses so far. I've located the codes and yes it's an FE1 so I guess the "standard" Bilsteins would be a good bet for a replacement. Eckler's has these for $79.99 a piece. They also have Bilstein autocross shocks for $109.99. Any thoughts on the autocross as an upgrade? Too harsh for daily driving?

Thanks,

Mike

I think my stock replacement Bilsteins are too soft. Mine is a daily driver. I would go with the Autocross ones if it were me, but I like it a bit stiffer.

Do you know anyone around with a similar set up you can go for a ride with?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom