Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing oxygen sensors.

KOPBET

Corvette
'73 Silver LS4 4 speed
I am going to replace the pre-cat oxygen sensors either today or tomorrow. I would like to know what technique you use to get at the sensor on the right hand side without dropping the pipe from the manifold. I have a sensor socket that works fine on the left side but not on the right side due to clearance problems. I don't have a 7/8" wrench that will fit in that space either. I thought about using a crows foot or some other type specialized wrench, but didn't want to waste money on a single use tool if I could avoid it.

Also, the instructions want you to torque the sensor to 28-34 fl/lbs. Yeah right, good luck getting a torque wrench in there.

:L:L:L Your avatar makes me :L:L:L It's scary that she might run in '08...

I know that when you need to get into an area like that for a specific torque setting, it's roughly an estimate. I remeber someone asking that question before and that was pretty much what everyone said.

Sorry, I only have 1 O2 sensor so I can't help you on how to get to the other ones.

Edmond said:
:L:L:L Your avatar makes me :L:L:L It's scary that she might run in '08...

What's even scarier is that people will actually vote for her!! :L

Well, the dirty deed is done and done dirt cheap. $93/pr. shipped. The right side is a booger, but I'm living proof it can be done by anyone (that doesn't have huge hands!).

$93 a pair is cheap? :L:L:L You must have big wallets! :L

Have you noticed any difference with the new sensors? Is throttle response better? How about mileage?

Edmond said:
$93 a pair is cheap? :L:L:L You must have big wallets! :L

Have you noticed any difference with the new sensors? Is throttle response better? How about mileage?

GM list is $76.58 each! Labor to put them in would probably have been another $$$$.

I immediately noticed a smoother idle, I haven't driven the car but about 3-4 miles since I finished last night. I reset the computer when I got home from the drive and I'll see what it does today going to work and back. Both sensors looked pretty well caked with soot. It's a wonder they worked at all! Driving to Waco Friday (400 mi) so I hope the fuel economy is better too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom