Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Retrofit Traction Control with Active Handling?

Gorgon

Corvette
None
I'm preparing for my first track event and there are a couple options that I wish my FRC had to help with this, Active Handling and the HUD. I know the HUD can be fitted into the FRC. Even though I have an early model 99 car and it will be a little more involved due to the changing of the instrument cluster, it can be done.

This is likely a question C4C5 could answer pretty quickly, but does anyone have any idea if Active Handling could be added to a Traction Control car? Would it be as simple as changing out a control module and adding the necessary sensors (steering, yaw) to the car? Is it cost effective? Should I just trade up to an 02 Z06? :)

Leon

I'm preparing for my first track event and there are a couple options that I wish my FRC had to help with this, Active Handling and the HUD. I know the HUD can be fitted into the FRC. Even though I have an early model 99 car and it will be a little more involved due to the changing of the instrument cluster, it can be done.

This is likely a question C4C5 could answer pretty quickly, but does anyone have any idea if Active Handling could be added to a Traction Control car? Would it be as simple as changing out a control module and adding the necessary sensors (steering, yaw) to the car? Is it cost effective? Should I just trade up to an 02 Z06? :)

Leon

I'm sure Paul would advise against it... but I think it is possible- provided you have the money for the labor and parts. I don't think it is cost effective- but it might work for you if you can do most of the retrofit yourself. You'll need to obtain the electrical harness from a salvage Vette- and take pictures as you go.

Sounds to me like that's the ticket to moving up a couple of years to get one equipped with what you want from the factory. This could be your lucky day !!!!! If the $$$ work out.......GO FOR IT!
Andy

I have yet to track my 2000FRC, haveing bought it just to track, but I have not had time to prep it yet.
I can't answer about active handling as I am new to Corvetts also. That said I do have track expirence with a replica 427 Cobra and an 03 Mustang Cobra. \
The Mustang has "traction control" I have found that you must turn it off for open track events. The sensors detect wheel spin then apply the brake to that wheel. Not what you want to have happen on the track. I have been told that the active handling is a "neat" feature but a good driver can trun better lap times with it truned off.
Last December I saw a new ZO6 roll and hit a wall on his first lap. Inspection after the accident showed the active handling turned off. His accident was caused by his running his outside wheels going off the track on the grass, he turned sharpley to get back on the track, which caused both front wheels to get traction, but they were pointed across the track. Before he could turn down track he hit the wall on the other side head on. Would the traction control have saved him...who knows.

Lesson learned and good advice for anyone. If you get two wheels off stay straight slow down and slowly trun back on track (traffic permitting).

On the HUD, I have one but don't plan to use it much. I find a shift light (I use Raptor) is your best friend. Things happen fast out there and there is a lot to look at. The shift light set 1K less than red line will get your attention and by the time you shift you will be where you want to be. On a long straight look at your gages. Some people I know use a oil preasure warning light, like a shift light to get their attention

Have fun at your event, can't wait to get mine out there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom