Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Reverse gear woes

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
Being new to manual shifting, I'm slowly but surely starting to get the hang of it. But for some reason, reverse takes forever to find. I know where it's supposed to be, but I keep hitting 5th instead (especially on an incline). Is there a Vette trick I don't know about?

BulletTime,
According to the owner's manual, the only trick to shifting into Reverse is that you have to be going slower than 3 MPH. I use my HUD to advise me of speed, and I will admit that sometimes, it hangs onto 5 or 4 MPH for a second or two after I've come to a complete stop, but I always wait until after the HUD says I'm below 3 MPH before I try to shift to "R". An annoyance, I grant you, but I prefer that to accidently shifting into "R" when I'm actually trying to shift into 5th on the highway. :)

-Patrick

move your shifter into first then second then goto reverse. DO this witht he clutch in and without letting it up. it lines up the synchros.

It is a bit tricky. The "hold the clutch in and shift into a few other gears first" method seems to work 90% of the time for me. But I do have to ease out the clutch first just to be sure I am actually in reverse. I miss the little reverse lock-out "trigger" thingies on the C3. I guess it was a source of rattles so they dropped it. Too bad it works well and looks cool as heck.

My 01 coupe is stubborn when it comes to reverse. I usually double clutch (clutch in and out twice before moving shifter) and that seems to help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom