Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ricer

tnZ06

Corvette
2003 Black Z06
Who has had a ricer pull up beside you and ask you if you want to race? This happened to me for the first time the other night. It was a punk kid in a Mitsubishi Eclipse reving his motor with a fartbox exhaust that wanted to race me in my stock 03 Z06.

I have had it happen a few times. Some Mustangs and BMWs have done this as well. I will have a short drag race only under the best of conditions (dry, open, empty road, no side roads, etc) so I seldom take anyone up on it. I have quite a few passes in at the dragstrip, however. A few of the ricers out there have handed me a loss. Not many, but a few.

Who has had a ricer pull up beside you and ask you if you want to race? This happened to me for the first time the other night. It was a punk kid in a Mitsubishi Eclipse reving his motor with a fartbox exhaust that wanted to race me in my stock 03 Z06.

Who won???????

I didnt race. I blew him off and didn't think it was worth the wasted gas.

my sentiments exactly, or the wear on the tires. ;LOL

Some of those kids put a lot of money on blowers and NOS. These cars are short lived since you can't push those internals up to 300+ horsepower often without doing some damage to the engine or drive line. The next door neighbor kid modded his car when he was in his 20's and used to street race on the weekends. In the 7 years that I knew him before he moved out he totaled 4 cars and one motorcycle. When he was done growing up, he had spent a lot of money including his 'College Loan' and 'Grandmas money' and had nothing to show for it. It isn't worth possibly stroking their ego if for some stupid reason you get caught. Though I've not raced someone on purpose. I did have a Stuperu race me on the on-ramp that narrowed to 1 lane. I didn't feel comfortable doing it, but by the time I needed to pull in front of him, he gunned it. I stomped on it in 3rd and was doing 80 and accellerating past him before he gave it up. Some people are just jerks.

Nope, hasn't happened in three years so far. They pull up, look, and mostly pull away slow and polite like. My car is nothing to talk about (stock except for intake and exhaust), maybe it's because (although I'm not) I have that "cop" look :)

Seems the "ricer nest" is down the Jersey Shore...Seaside Heights to be exact! LOL They taunt me all the time and once or twice I have sinned and blown them away....Forgive me. But........usually I just look at them and laugh ;LOL,that really P*SSes them off!:mad

I know there are a few "ricer's" out which have been modified and will run pretty good. What I usually encounter is very young teenagers and I just ignore them. Might be different if it was out in some isolated locale ( even here I would probably just half-heartedly play), but typically it is on busy four-lane streets, so no go.

I do have to admit that I had to wonder once about a Saturn Ion which pulled up and attempted to start something. Even his was a no go as some attempts are only baitings. I prefer to leave the master baitings to these young teens

:upthumbs

Rice Through Glasses

There's modified and then there's ricified.
Remo:cool

ricers.gif

Remo,
you always amaze me with some of the stuff you pop-up with. That is so funny:L. The only thing missing off the ricer is the large number of stickers advertising the goodies they wish they had:chuckle.

Yep...not worth wasting gas on. However, on the way to Carlisle last month I did have to put one of those little pesky Dogged Neon RTs in its place:Buttslap. The spanking happened on 495 in Richmond, VA. As I was cruising along at 65 I kept hearing this noise that sounded like a compressor releasing air. I asked my co-pilot if there was a truck around. Then I see this little Neon pull up on the right side of me. When he let off the go-pedal I quickly realized that the little Neon was the source of the noise. Looky here! A little Neon with a Turbo:D. Both of us were about a ¼ of a mile behind a pack of cars up front. So I told my co-pilot to hang on. I switched off the traction control and active handling, got 4th gear, held up three fingers to signal a count of three. At three we both hit it. I will say he pulled strong up to about 100 MPH. I think he had to shift. After that it was all over for the little Neon as it was left WAYYyyy behind:chuckle. Once I came upon traffic I got back to a sane speed. The Neon pulled up beside me and the guy kept motioning me that he want to run again. I just shook my head no. He was at least cool about it as both of us ran about 40 miles together without any further :wtcslap. My co-pilot got a real kick out of the little Neon spanking.

That is the first time, in a long time, that I've mixed it up with a Ricer. I couldn't resist this one since he had a turbo that seemed to be working:chuckle.

:w
HD

My neighbors son has a 2003 Civic with an Acura GSR motor with blower, headers, cam(s), pistons etc and it's pushing upwards of 450 fwhp. I don't think I'd like to mess with it.

Two Unarguable Facts

1. O.J. did it.
  2. Pictured below is what defines a "ricer".
Remo:cool

Hey Heavy Duty,
Out of couriosity, why turn off the Active handling, etc? Does that priduce a better response off the throttle? Aren't you afraid of breaking the back end loose at 80? At the track I would break the back end loose at 85 between 3rd and 4th consistantly, am I doing something wrong?

Maybe he could beat you off the line, but if you knew you'd have enough road to get up to 170 he might think twice too. I don't think any 'jelly bean' car is stable over 140 mph is it? After all my brothers M3 shuts down at 155. The Germans must know something about stability.

snip
After all my brothers M3 shuts down at 155. The Germans must know something about stability.
Nothing to do with stability. The big german manufacturers decided to impose a top speed all unto themselfes. The cars (MB, BMW and VW/Audi) run quite nicely above that too. Only Porsche isnt limited at 155, they do go higher. And it's 155 as that translates to 250 km/h, nice round number.. :)

Btw, their internal tuning companies always go around their self imposed cutoff (see AMG for MB).. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom