Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Richmond/DNE 5 Speeds - Shift Quality

VAroute66

Corvette
'66 Roadster
I have a DNE 5 Speed that I want to install in my '66, and I have read in some places that these transmissions do not always shift smoothly. Although modifications to detents and other parts are mentioned, there are never any details. Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience with these transmissions? Thanks. The mounting bracket was a source of pain, and then I found 67HEAVEN's website which provided excellent bracket modification details. That's how I found this great forum.

Dan

I have a ROD 6-speed in my C4, but from what I've seen and heard, owners of the C2s are pleased with Keisler's set-up. It's a Tremec trans, but they can modify it to where the shifter comes out in the original location. ;)

I have a doug nash 5 speed in one of my cars. It dose not shift as smooth as a muncie. I had the slides and detents changed and it still is only ok. If you shift easy you will get used to it and its not bad, if you are going to be powershifting and banging gears you will not be happy. As far as gearing, it is great. Super low first through fourth and one to one in 5th works great. I have 356s in the rear and it is great on the highway. You have to give a little to get a little. I think it all depends on how you drive. I have muncies in all my other cars so im spoiled.

Ken and vette thanks for your reply. The Keisler kit is well thought out and seems to provide the necessary hardware for installation. However, I am going to have to work with the DNE 5 Speed I have, and I do like the close ratios. Vette, can you say what kinds of modifications you made to the slides and detents to improve shifting? Thanks.

Dan

I know my trans guy used slides from a borg. super T10 he also did some custom work on the detents. i use synthetic oil but truly these changes made little difference. like i said its not bad, it is not much different than say a stock shifterin a mid year. a little crunchy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom