Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Road Trip and MPG

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
We've gotten spoiled with very good mileage here in Oklahoma and the surrounding area. Here in OK, we can get 100% gas and many stations usually have signs that let you know that say something like "buy 100% gas and get better mileage." That is definitely true.

Here in OK, with 100% gas, I routinely see 29.5 or better mileage when on the freeways and major highways.

We took the TunaSport on a 3200+ mile road trip over to Florida and the states in between over 9 days. E10 or 10% ethanol is about the only "gas" available once you get east of Little Rock. Once the TunaSport got more E10 in the tank than 100% gas, the mileage started dropping. The overall highway mileage dropped to around 27 +- 0.4 for the trip (mostly under 27) which is just about 10% less mileage compared to "Ezero." Of course the stations don't charge 10% less for E10 so the price of gas for the trip went up.

Went to Ft. Lauderdale area of Florida, Savannah, Ga and north Alabama. Traffic sucks in SE Florida - compared to what I'm used to - so we rode with the kids when we went somewhere. They seemed to be acclimated to it.

Savannah is a nice place to visit. We stayed in the historic part of town and left the TunaSport in valet parking the whole time. The old homes and buildings are wonderful. So's the food. Everything in walking distance or a horse and buggy ride.

North Alabama is where the other kids are and we spend Thanksgiving with our kids and grand kids there.

The TunaSport performed flawlessly all the way. A road trip vacation in a Vette suits us just fine.

Hope everyone else had a good holiday.

Gotta like the E10... less power, less mileage, same price... :ugh

-Mac

Pretty much lines up with mileage on our GS. Corn belongs on your plate next to the taters, or better still... in a mason jar!!!:beer

Sounds like you had a great trip Tuna. We get those same MPG numbers also.

I wonder how cars made to handle E10 will do on E15 when it is mandated? I can imagine corrosion in the fuel lines and deteriorating seals that will have to be retro fitted at owner expense just to meet a government fuel mandate.

I wonder how cars made to handle E10 will do on E15 when it is mandated? I can imagine corrosion in the fuel lines and deteriorating seals that will have to be retro fitted at owner expense just to meet a government fuel mandate.

I think that most cars produced in the last 10 or more years will handle E10 and would not have a problem with E15. I have not heard if that is going to be a mandate or not......we can only produce so much corn. Out here where corn is king the E10 is less money by at least a dime a gallon. E85 is a lot less.

I think that most cars produced in the last 10 or more years will handle E10 and would not have a problem with E15. I have not heard if that is going to be a mandate or not......we can only produce so much corn. Out here where corn is king the E10 is less money by at least a dime a gallon. E85 is a lot less.

Considering that E10 produces almost 10% less mileage that Ezero, the price difference ought to be more like 30 cents less a gallon and E85 ought to be almost free.

We only measure SPG.....(Smiles per gallon, we get a bunch) :thumb

I'm sure that the Ethenol folks are totaly biased. As engines and fuel management systems get better you may see less of a difference in milage with higher blends of ethenol. E85 direct injected into very high compression ratio engines may be an option down the roead.

Lots of technology being worked on out there due to the high milage standards coming. Butanol which is a derivative of ethenol has almost the same btu's as gasoline and can be a direct replacement. Downside there is the cost.....at this point a bushel of corn only produces 1.3 gals of the product.

It is an oxgenator and our government says we need it. Ag industry loves it and that involves a lot of people.

The only way I like my corn is on a plate or in a glass - no ice. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom