Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rock Chip Repair

Jeff Henning

Corvette
98 Indy Pace Car
My '89 has been taken good care of and the paint looks great. However a few stones have bounced off the fromt end and taken paint with them.
Has anyone had success touchin up these little buggers.
I have found a touch up kit by Mothers #101857 for $39.95 and am tempted to give it a try.
Any stories with happy endings?

Jeff

This is the age old dilemma....do you leave them alone or risk messin' with them and coming up with something that looks worse ? I think it may be easier with a solid color like black or even red, but no way am I going to mess with my metallic silver ! If we drive our cars its going to happen eventually. Let us know how it turns out

I just finished repairs of about six chips on my Ruby. I got my paint, clearcoat, sandpaper etc. from http://www.paintscratch.com/ . They also have instructions. It is very important to be patient. You need to fill the chips a little at a time to build the paint up. I used real fine sandpaper on the end of a pencil eraser to smooth it out, and then used rubbing compound to remove teh sandpaper scratches. Overall, I am pretty happy with the results.

Go to etouchup.com and give them your paint code. They will mix it and you can get aerosol cans or small bottles for touchup. They'll send you a small bottle of clearcoat also. Then when you touch up the spots, the paint will be a close to perfect match.
There are steps on how to repair chips and it's easy enough. Stay away from those "kits" and "pen" type deals.

Len:w

Pics?

Bluetail...any pics of the spots you worked on?

Papa said:
Bluetail...any pics of the spots you worked on?
I'll take a couple of pics Friday when the weather is going to be sunny again and email them to you. I wish I had some before pics, but didn't think of it.

Jeff, I have done the Langka procedure with my 35th Anniv car and it came out great!! My wife walked in the garage with a wicker basket and part of the basket touched my car, tore the car cover and put a 1 inch gash on my rt front fender well done to the fiberglass!!! I went on Langkas website and paintscratch and ordered everything. If you use Langka let your blob of paint dry for at least a week before using the Langka.
If the paint on your car is in good shape the procedure should work well for you!!! I swear by the stuff now!!!

Anthony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom