Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rod or valve knock?

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
Hello,

It started off as a hesitation at high rpms a couple of weeks ago that was intermittent. Thought it went away. Parked the car for a couple of weeks and today it came back. At first it was the same symptom, slight hesitation at highway speed. After i got off the highway after a 40 mile run, the car was not running right. Felt like it was running on 6 cylinders and had some misfire's then it stalled. I was close to home so decided to limp it home. I think that was probably a mistake as now i can hear a knock on what seems like the top side of the motor when i start the car and still runs real rough. Pulled all the plugs and two on drivers side look oily as does one on the drivers side. I am planning on getting it towed as i simply dont have the time to pull the valve covers off and see if its a valve spring/ rocker or something else.

Any insightful input as possible causes before i take it to shop and open a home equity loan? Not exactly a good way to start the memorial day.

Did you find out what was causing this?

Tom

Yes, two bent push rods and one broken valve spring. Shop i took it to said i was lucky it didnt cause more damage. Replaced all rocker arms, rods and springs and getting back on the road tomorrow.

He's right. It could have been a lot worse. Enjoy the weekend.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom