Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rowley's now down...

Tom73

Corvette
73 LS4 Coupe - 04 CE Conv
I see that Rowley's board is now down

Got this message 6:45 a.m. this morning:

Sorry, this bulletin board is temporarily unavailable due to high server load. .

Looks like the Netvetter's overloaded it...

tom...

Tom,

Maybe you can help me understand something here. Why do the Netvetters feel they need their own forum?

Are they an organized club composed of members that live within a central location?

If that's the case, I really wouldn't have a problem creating a forum for them here at the CAC because unlike other clubs that have expressed an interest for the same thing here, I know they'd be using it rather than having me set up a forum that sees little to no activity.

Rob,
Sorry but really cannot answer that one. Netvettes, to me, was a second tier forum that I would drop in on occasionally. I did not spend a whole lot of time there like I do here and at CF.

I had never noticed this herd mentality when I was on Netvettes. It was basically a nice quite forum. But it did seem that a few dominated the forum. I did see some comments over on Rowley's that they thought that CAC was too big. Maybe some just want a small quite board. But with a small board you do not get enough traffic to get a good cross section of ideas. Could it be that a few want to be a big fish in a small pond :D (on offence intended Netvetters :) )

tom...

About a year or two ago I was looking for a Vette forum and stumbled onto Netvettes. Whenever I asked a question, I got an abbundance of helpful replies and everyone was extremely courtious and helpful. I think we all got to know each other pretty well over there. So I stuck with it. There is no doubt that CAC is the biggest and the best but sometimes people get lost in that. It seems like at CAC people like to argue too much about things like what color is best or what wax shines the best etc. All you can do is give your own opinion from personal experiences. At Netvettes people usually concentrated on one or two problems at a time and tried to get them resolved. I will still come here because of the vast wealth of knowledge. Netvettes was more like a few guys getting together over a beer and talking about fixing and driving their Vettes. The Netvetters don't deserve to be put down, they built a good thing over there and just did'nt want to lose it.. Just my opinion.

JR-80 said:
About a year or two ago I was looking for a Vette forum and stumbled onto Netvettes. Whenever I asked a question, I got an abbundance of helpful replies and everyone was extremely courtious and helpful. I think we all got to know each other pretty well over there. So I stuck with it. There is no doubt that CAC is the biggest and the best but sometimes people get lost in that. It seems like at CAC people like to argue too much about things like what color is best or what wax shines the best etc. All you can do is give your own opinion from personal experiences. At Netvettes people usually concentrated on one or two problems at a time and tried to get them resolved. I will still come here because of the vast wealth of knowledge. Netvettes was more like a few guys getting together over a beer and talking about fixing and driving their Vettes. The Netvetters don't deserve to be put down, they built a good thing over there and just did'nt want to lose it.. Just my opinion.

Interesting. Actually, the CorvetteForum is the largest. We're the second largest, however the CF has over 40,000 members. I guess I find your observations about people arguing here to be strange - and I don't mean that in a negative way - I guess "surprising" would be more appropriate.

I don't see a lot of arguing here, but then, I don't have the time to venture into every single forum and I think most of the members would agree that we're pretty much known for being laid back here - sit back over a beer - type of crowd. At least I am anyway. :D Give me a cold frosty mug and plant me in front of some Vettes with the hoods open. :D

Anyway, I'll leave it up to you guys. If you want your own forum here, let me know. You can call it what you want - "Netvetters" whatever. I'm not sure where I'd put it in the forums layout but that's something I can work on if you guys are serious about it. Let me know.

I guess maybe I just checked out some controversial topics here. I wanted to get others opinions on car polish and on the post two guys went at it like they were both Car Care Product dealers trying to put down the other guys product. I know most of the threads aren't like that, but those boys were getting kinda nasty. It's just car wax for cryin out loud. (that should get them going again, lol). I don't have any idea if Netvetters would want a forum of their own here. They probably will just blend into the main ones.

JR-80 said:
I guess maybe I just checked out some controversial topics here. I wanted to get others opinions on car polish and on the post two guys went at it like they were both Car Care Product dealers trying to put down the other guys product. I know most of the threads aren't like that, but those boys were getting kinda nasty. It's just car wax for cryin out loud. (that should get them going again, lol). I don't have any idea if Netvetters would want a forum of their own here. They probably will just blend into the main ones.
Interesting. I totally missed that one. Can you tell me where that thread is??

Rob,
It also seems to be primarly the C3 crowd that went to Rowley's. Their C3 thread had about five times or some more activity then the other generation threads. So don't see why they could not fit in here on the C3 groups. Seems it would be a nice fit.

tom...

There is a great wealth of info and knowledge here at cac and i respect that.But I myself am against censorship but i do agree that fowl language is not neccasary. But when threads are closed because rob dosen't think there no good coming out of them example"whats up " thread i didn't see that was threatning , and it got closed after 2 responces. I don't need big brother looking over my shoulder. Don't get me wrong you developed a nice forum here Rob But like they say nice place to visit but i would'nt want to live here. And one more thing Rob I'm a bussiness man myself surely like yourself and when a employee or a freind offers a opinion i take it at that i DON"T remind them it's my company and my money . Regards Ron.....

EDDYVETTER said:
There is a great wealth of info and knowledge here at cac and i respect that.But I myself am against censorship but i do agree that fowl language is not neccasary. But when threads are closed because rob dosen't think there no good coming out of them example"whats up " thread i didn't see that was threatning , and it got closed after 2 responces. I don't need big brother looking over my shoulder. Don't get me wrong you developed a nice forum here Rob But like they say nice place to visit but i would'nt want to live here. And one more thing Rob I'm a bussiness man myself surely like yourself and when a employee or a freind offers a opinion i take it at that i DON"T remind them it's my company and my money . Regards Ron.....
Ron,

There's a big difference between this site and a business. This site and these forums are NOT a business and the members here, are not my employees.

A business provides a service or product for a fee. The consumer pays for that product or service.

The members here, are consumers, just like you and me. The difference is that they are not paying for a service or a product when they come to this site. In fact, this site is a free service to all.

If you take the time, to run through these forums, I think you'll find that the Members here will agree that I am always asking for feedback both positive or negative. If nobody says anything about a problem - I can't fix it.

Now on the one hand, I am always open for criticism, but on the other hand, I will not tolerate disrespect - especially when you are receiving a service - for free and I'm paying for it out of my pocket.

In this day and age, some people seem to think that when it comes to the web, everything should be free for the taking. The sad truth however is that nothing comes for free; someone has to pay for it. Since I'm paying for it, I have very few limits if any - and disrespect is one of them.

As far as I'm concerned, LoudPedal had no business slamming me for a thread he couldn't find and then slamming me for another thread I replied in. He wasn't offering an opinion. He was insulting.

If you don't agree with how something is handled here and you want to offer criticism, you are more than welcome to. If you want to insult me - do it privately via email or to my face.

As for closing threads - I rarely, if ever close threads and in fact, I closed 3 threads this past week which is more than I've probably closed in a sixth month period.

What bothers me about all of this is that rather than contacting me to ask me why threads are closed, people jump to conclusions - rumors and assumptions start etc. As I've stated in the thread I started about the CAC being up for sale - if you have a question about the site or how things operate - ask.

You guys were great for asking for name changes and to have threads posted in this forum for other Netvetters - but it seems to be a different story when I make a conscious decision to close a thread that you participated in.

EDDYVETTER said:
But when threads are closed because rob dosen't think there no good coming out of them example"whats up " thread i didn't see that was threatning , and it got closed after 2 responces. I don't need big brother looking over my shoulder.

I have to second Rob's response. I have been a member here for almost 2 years and have only seen a handful of threads closed and in every instance I would have to agree that it was necessary. People were getting out of control with disrespect directed toward others and their opinions rather than the exchange of ideas and opinions.

Personal attacks are not welcome here. Just like in real life (or is this real life :Roll) I wouldn't associate with these people. And they did tend to be a group that would come over for a while after they were shut out elesewhere for what I would guess to be the same reasons, and am glad that they are gone.

This forum promotes the exchange of ideas, both related to Corvettes and other areas. What it doesn't tolerate is disrespect and that's what makes it a "community" rather than just another forum. I think you would find that the long time members would say something similiar and that is the reason they keep coming back.

This place is not for everybody and I hope the people that left found good "homes" that they enjoy.

My .02.

Bob

Rob, Is there a means to disable a thread, but yet make it viewable with one last post as to why you're intending to disable the post?

I haven't been around long enough or been involved in a post you're monitoring to see you delete that post. When a post is deleted, it might be nice (not sure you did or didn't) let those involved know why you're deleting a post. Give them time to correct their wayward ways..?

All I can do is appreciate that there are free forum services on the net. I don't have the money or the time to set one up and keep it running.

You mentioned a Netvetters Forum within CAC? I figure it'd be infiltrated in short time. Not that that wouldn't be good, but we could just blend in the current forums I guess. I think Ron said it, we are a tight knit group that has learned each other's strengths and weaknesses and have become trusting of eachother. Maybe we're playing shy. That we don't thing we fit in at CAC. Most of our group are not the type to be "Corvette Club Members". I for one own a 40 year old Ford hotrod along with the Vette. That's tabu for many Vette/Chevy people.

See where we come from?

jackofalltrades said:
Rob, Is there a means to disable a thread, but yet make it viewable with one last post as to why you're intending to disable the post?

I haven't been around long enough or been involved in a post you're monitoring to see you delete that post. When a post is deleted, it might be nice (not sure you did or didn't) let those involved know why you're deleting a post. Give them time to correct their wayward ways..?

All I can do is appreciate that there are free forum services on the net. I don't have the money or the time to set one up and keep it running.

You mentioned a Netvetters Forum within CAC? I figure it'd be infiltrated in short time. Not that that wouldn't be good, but we could just blend in the current forums I guess. I think Ron said it, we are a tight knit group that has learned each other's strengths and weaknesses and have become trusting of eachother. Maybe we're playing shy. That we don't thing we fit in at CAC. Most of our group are not the type to be "Corvette Club Members". I for one own a 40 year old Ford hotrod along with the Vette. That's tabu for many Vette/Chevy people.

See where we come from?
Hmmm, can you explain what you mean by disable a thread? I'm not sure I understand.

Actually, I never delete posts unless they are my own. And that usually goes for threads. If someone posts something that is inappropriate, I will edit their post and I'll place a comment in bold indicating that I've edited it - and why I have edited it.

If I close a thread, I will always state why I'm closing a thread. Although I'm speaking for just myself here, that really applies to the entire administration. Nobody locks a thread without stating why they are doing so and in some cases, we actually get together and discuss if it was appropriate to close a thread. If I disagree with the reason for closing, and we all agree to reopen it, I will reopen it and post the reason why I felt it should be re-opened.

In all honesty, I don't "see where you come from". I own a 1998 Ford F150 pickup that I love (although I want to get rid of it and pick up something else).

I love old Mustangs, Pontiacs....I'd love to have a '69 Jaguar XKE (even though the Lucas electronics in them are horrible).

I am a Corvette enthusiast - #1. I am an automotive enthusiast - #2.

I am not a wine, cheese and crumpet kind of a guy. I prefer to do my own work on my Vette provided that I have the time, the tools and the knowledge. Have I brought my Vette into the dealer to have the coolant system flushed - yes, because I didn't have the time, and for my particular model, I didn't feel that I had the appropriate amount of knowledge to do it myself.

I have however, taken the entire top of the engine off - replaced the entire secondary port vacuum system, fuel injectors, ignition wires, plugs, alternator, serpentine belt, gaskets, you name it.

So - just like you guys, I like to work on my own Vette when I can and I love various types of cars, not just Corvettes. It's just that my primary passion out of all the cars that I love happens to be with Corvette. :)

EDDYVETTER said:
Bobchad I didn't see this as threating or insulting :
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32703 I'm a netvetter so please don't slam on us we are just a group of vette owners like yourself who are a little rebelish and some of us are a little outspoken nothing realy out of ordinary in real life. Ron....

Ron,

I didn't even see the post previously and was not slamming anyone. Sorry if it came off that way.

All I'm saying is there is a certain feel to this place, and it's different at the various forums, that the members and moderators have come to expect. People fit in, and I hope that most do because everyone has something to contribute, or they move on and find something more in line with their personality.

Bob

Rob, You and I could probably sit down and have a beer or two together.

-Steve

jackofalltrades said:
Rob, You and I could probably sit down and have a beer or two together.

-Steve
I don't see any reason why not. Make it a Killians Red, or a nice strong IPA and I can drink more than "a" beer. :L :L

Amazing we went from good to bad to good and to drinking beer together.Whats next? Ron....:bar

EDDYVETTER said:
Amazing we went from good to bad to good and to drinking beer together.Whats next? Ron....:bar
Any of you shoot pool? :D

Ok now that it looks like the air has cleared can call off this Hat field and Mcoy feud to a truce or is there still anomocity out there . If there is lets handle it now so we can all let it go and move on. Ron.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom