Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rubberized Console Paint - Where to buy?

Rich96c4ce

Corvette
1996 LT1 Collector Edition Coupe
Anyone have any thoughts about redoing the console shift plate? Mine has scratches in the rubber coating but no damage to the plastic.

How do you strip the old rubberized coating?

Where can I get new coating material, and what is it called?

Thanks!

Try mid america. Do not know itn is called but i believe i saw some stuuff like you are asking about in catalogue

You actually got me looking through my books, i never heard of the rubber paint

mid america page 4-93 has a scratch touch up.

Ecklers has interior paint for vinyl rubber metal and plastic. page 226

corvette america has an interior dye for all surfaces on page 126

thats all i can find

dan

The original finish is called Dulso. I've been looking for 6 months for it, nobody sells it. New console - best price is GM parts direct @ $168 but they nail you $30 plus more for shipping.

Their shipping is always triple what is should be.

Corvette 66: I've been looking in all the catalogs, too.

Froggy47: Repro parts are going for $125 on Ebay, and used scratched ones go for somewhat less.

Regarding Dulso, got any idea who makes it?

Many thanks,
Rich

I started a posting about this topic last year to see how best to repair the missing pait on the console of my 96. I found some very in-depth articles about removing the old paint and any silicone or other chemicals on the surface, then painting the pieces.

After reading all of this and assessing the potential for something to go wrong, I decided just to buy an aftermarket piece from (I believe) Ecklers. The cost was $125.00. I'm very happy with the fit and finish of the aftermarket part. I did have to retrieve some captive nuts from the old piece, but the new one included the cup holder door. I was grossed-out at the trash I from the previous owners that I found under the console. At least it's all clean now. The best cleaner for these plastic coated interior parts is a lint-free rag and water....none of that shiny spray stuff!

There was a vendor selling interior parts at Carlisle, but by the time I got there he only had one display model left and it had finger prints all over.

Thanks Skyguy007. I really was thinking of the repo solution, too, but figured I'd ask the forum before I spent the $125.

Germantown? Do you work for NIST?
My sons name is Sky, and we call him Skyguy, too. He is 12, and the thoughtful person who selected our ride after about 6 months of looking and driving. We saw our CE at Carlisle in 2002, and bought it the day after Carlisle.
Thanks,
Rich

Thanks magmotor,

I've seen that article b4. I think I even emailed Lars but it was a dead email. From the article it does not sound like the resulting finish would be Dulso.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom