Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rusted Seat Tracks

sdvette

Corvette
1969 Corvette
Hi All,

I am trying to remove the seats from my 69 vette but they are locked in the rear postion and will not move forward to give me access to the rear bolts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I know my seatframes had similiar problem. However the rust around the bolts on frame were rusted so bad they had to be broken off anyways-and a new pcs has to be welded.
So I carefully ripped twisted the frame (area around extreme rust and bolts).
Now I will disassemble the motor and have an electronics shop rebuild it while I have frames completed.
good luck.:)

Mine were also stuck on my 78. I sprayed some Disc Brake cleaner on them using the little tube to get in the track and it freed them up.
Mickey78

Mine were locked up really bad with rust,grime and coins (30 cents stuck in the rail. After I got the coins out, I soaked them with PB blaster which ate through the rust ( I was replacing the carpet so no worries of damaging that) and with a little force I was able to free them enough to loosen the bolts that attached to the body. Once I got the seats out, more PB blaster was used to free the rails enough to align the bolts that held it to the seat frame.
PB Blaster is your best friend. Use it liberally :)

Once off, I stripped the old paint and used degreaser to clean the rails off and a dremel to remove the other rust. I then primed and painted the rails and greased the bearings and rails with some lithium grease. Prior to install, I will put some heavier grease in the rail to ensure smooth operation.

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to get them to move with the help of PB Weld, WD-40, Brake Cleaner, Chain Lube and a crow bar. I have access to the rear seat bolts!!! The only issue is someone has rounded off one of the bolt heads....Great!

Craftsman makes some special sockets to use for rounded off bolt heads.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom