Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SB Chevy Valve Cover Gaskets?

Greekman

Corvette
'67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82
Cork or Rubber?

Wanting to know which are the "Best" valve cover gaskets for the small block 350 chevy engine?

Looking for the best results for stopping any leaks. I have used cork material in the past, but understand that they may not be the best to use.

What is everyone's past experiences? Let's hear your opinioins.

I need help. I have changed my valve cover gaskets three times in the past 12 months and still have a small leak on the passenger side at the rear of the cover.

Rubber gets my vote. And they are reuseable. Make sure to straightedge your covers . If they are warped they wont seal

:w

Folk's will argue either way about the merit's of each material,
Use what You "Preferr".....The only thing I would ADD is a THIN
Film of RTV on "BOTH" sides of the Gasket's for some ADDED
sealing Insurance.

I've got a pair of these for sale, never used but removed from original package. Right after I bought them I decided not to sink any more $$ into my SB and focus on the 454 :gap

mor-93020.jpg

They're Moroso, here's the description:

MOR-93060 Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets, Rubber / Steel, SBF, 3/16 in., Pair $39.95

They're a steel core coated in durable rubber.

email me at mozuch@aol.com if interested.

HELLO i prefer rubber with a small amount of yamabond sealer. it's a non-hardening sealer,yes ,a PITA to remove but it does seal very well.
for correctness i will use cork but add PERMATEX HIGH TACK gasket sealant. brush on both sides to seal . yes, also a PITA to remove . however, once sealed shouldn't have to remove covers too often.

best to all

ROBIN

I heard that RTV isn't a good sealant becuase it breaks down from gasoline. I don't know this for a fact, this is just what I heard. :)

Stallion

STALLION, if you're getting gas on the valve covers .then there is a bigger problem to deal with than just oil leaking from the covers.
yes, you are right ,to not use them in a gas leak application.

bubba

That's true. :D

But, if you DO happen to get gasoline on the valve covers (for some reason or another), then...your valve cover seal is shot. So... :) I don't think it's unheard of if a carb throws out, or something of that sort happens. You are right, though, it shouldn't be something to keep you from using RTV over.

Stallion

Thanks to everyone.......

To be completey stock on my car, Chevrolet did not use valve cover gaskets from the St. Louis factory. They were only used by authorized Chevrolet mechanics once the covers needed to be removed for any reason.

So going rubber would be just as non stock as cork unless they set up higher off the head due to their thickness.

Tazdev.....
Tell me more about "planing" or "leveling" the covers if warped?

On RTV?
Does everyone use the RTV on both sides of the gasket or just on the cover side and nothing on the head itself?

Sorry folks for all the questions, but I want to do it right and just ONE more time hopfully!

I just did my manifold and valve covers yesterday. The research I did came up with FelPro's PermaDry. Supposed to be the best. I have the aluminum valve covers. If you get them, go to Autozone, $20.00 there. Haven't started the car yet, waiting for RTV to cure...

Re: Thanks to everyone.......

Greekman said:
To be completey stock on my car, Chevrolet did not use valve cover gaskets from the St. Louis factory. They were only used by authorized Chevrolet mechanics once the covers needed to be removed for any reason.

So going rubber would be just as non stock as cork unless they set up higher off the head due to their thickness.

Tazdev.....
Tell me more about "planing" or "leveling" the covers if warped?

On RTV?
Does everyone use the RTV on both sides of the gasket or just on the cover side and nothing on the head itself?

Sorry folks for all the questions, but I want to do it right and just ONE more time hopfully!

Chevrolet has ALWAYS used cork valve cover gaskets, on every engine - you're thinking about EXHAUST MANIFOLD gaskets, which were never used until the tubular manifolds started in 1980.

Make sure your valve cover seal surfaces are dead-flat, especially around the bolt holes, which are usually distorted due to over-torquing the bolts.

There's no need for RTV on the head side of the gasket - that just ruins the gasket when you remove the covers. After making sure your cover seal surfaces are flat, glue the gaskets to the covers with a small bead of Permatex Ultra-Copper Hi-Temp RTV (making a "ring" around the bolt holes) and let them sit overnight; then install them and check torque on the bolts after a couple of hours of running time. Prepared this way, you can remove and re-install them many, many times with no leaks and no damage to the gaskets.

I use Fel-Pro cork-lam steel core gaskets, prepare them as outlined above, and have never had a leaker.

:beer

;stupid

If you are taking a vote I agree with the above, I have Brodix aluminum heads and valve covers and they (the covers) have been off and on several times using sealant on the cover side only.
Craig sr

Use a straightedge to ensure flatness on the valve cover flanges where they meet the head. Make sure there are no high or low spots. Also make sure you use the valve cover tabs that fit between the bolts and the valve cover, to distribute the torque on the valve cover evenly. I never had any luck with cork gaskets. As far as using rtv, imho, this causes more problems than it solves. I use the high quality cork with trued valve covers and tabs correctly torqued not over tightened, or the neoprene gaskets using the tabs and again correctly torqued. Overtightening will cause warpage and leakage.I always replace all the sbc valve cover gaskets i do in my shop with the neoprene variety. They are re-useable and far less prone to leakage.

My .02

Taz ;)

John Z...

From the 1978-1979 NCRS Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide (Third Edition)..
Page 68 under Valve Cover Gaskets

Valve covers on 1978 and 1979 Corvettes did NOT use a gasket assembly. The rocker cover-to-cylinder head seal was provided by RTV sealant, usually red-orange in color. Gaskets were typically installed during routine service, rather than re-applying the RTV sealant.

Chevrolet ALWAYS used cork valve covers gaskets, on every engine.....

Thanks for the procedure though, the overnight process sounds good.

bobchad said:
John

Is this what you are referring to?

Bob

Yup, Fel-Pro 1604's - great gaskets, IMO; most of my cars have solid lifters, and the valve covers are removed occasionally to lash the valves - have never replaced a Fel-Pro gasket.

Ref. the '78-79 no-gasket thing; don't doubt that - have never worked on one newer than '75. I've been building them for 40+ years, but I'm mired in the 50's-60's-early 70's :D

John....

I couldn't believe it either! I thought maybe there was a problem with the engine line at the plant for a couple years or some different heads being used.

I have asked aroiund at some of the shows and the owners who work on their cars themselves that have '79's .. and yes they say don't use gaskets!

I think I am going to go with the rubber and FEL PRO brand. From the responses above sounds like that is the way to go for my application anyway.

Thanks to all!

Greekman,

You are correct in saying that your 79 came with silicone instead of gaskets. GM experimented with this for 2 or 3 years and then basically ditched it due to the fact that it did not stand up and leaks were numerous. I use a cork/rubber combination gasket and have had good luck. BTW my 81 came with cork from St. Louis after the RTV debacle.

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom