Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Scratch removal

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
A few nasty scratches have appeared over the course of my z06 ownership.

Ive had decent luck removing them with the help of a polisher and the various mirror glaze cut cleaners by Meguiars, but there is one thing that is bothering me to some extent.

The polisher tends to leave these very fine swirls that are only visible in the sunlight. I dont mean the usual swirls that are more or less inescapable, but actual kind of vortexes. Is this because im using RPMs too low on the polisher? I had it at 2000RPM as i was told a buffer (around 1000RPM) doesnt spin fast enough for scratch removal. The finest cleaner ive used so far is the swirl free polish, so maybe im not using something fine enough? Im thinking maybe machine glaze would get those out?

Im not too sure at this point, but if i cant get these out i might be forced to pay a detailer to do it, which is fairly expensive, and also the reason i opted to try doing it myself. Im sure someone here has some insights. I have the tools, i have the time, just need the knowledge.

Thanks in advance. :)

There dont seem to be that many, or maybe im missing them ;shrug

In any event, i found that a coat of wax has done a good job of removing my problems :upthumbs

There dont seem to be that many, or maybe im missing them ;shrug

In any event, i found that a coat of wax has done a good job of removing my problems :upthumbs

If you're still having problems with swirls try Zaino. Internet purchase only at www.zainobros.com I bought my Z used with 9k on the odometer. Some members of our Corvette club suggested Zaino to get rid of the swirl marks. Get onto the site and read their info. They go over it step-by-step on what you have to do to get a great shine. After the initial prep all I use on my car now is the Z-2, Z-5(for fine swirls) and Z-6. They just came out with something new, Z-CS (clear seal), a must buy. All of these items work great on dark colored vehicles. Hope this helps. Dang, this sounds like an advertisement ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom