Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seat Belt Light

EYESOFTEX

Corvette
1972 Corvette (C3) LT1
:bang Hi all my seat belt light stays on all the time ,for awhile it was staying on for awhile then going off when i put it in drive and took off :mad . where are the wires that hook up the seat belt ground under the carpet:confused and where do the wires run from:duh under the console ?-under the seat?-under the car?:eyerole Thanks in advance for your help. Rex

The wires run from the buckle portion of the belts into the e-brake console, then through the shifter console and finally into the dash. There is a timer in the dash that's supposed to time the light off, i've heard they are pretty much non-existent as far as new exact replacement parts are concerned. You could probably find a replacement from a junkyard, many other GM cars of the same era used the same timer. Easiest thing to do might be just pull the light bulb

belt light

Thanks big fish , I did not know it had a timer. i will check all of it out if i get tired of playing with it I`ll just pull the bulb.:w

Hmm... I'm not sure about that timer. First I've heard about it and I have the same seat belt light problem. Maybe the timer is a 75 'vette thing, 'cause I don't think it's on the 72.

As far as I know, the light is hooked up to both belts and a weight sensor in the passenger seat. Wire routing is as described.

OK, just looked something up. 72-75 are supposed to be the same, and are as I described with one thing I haven't meantioned: with an auto tranny, the "speed selector lever" must be in a forward position for the light to come on. (On manual tranny cars, the light will not come on if the ebrake is engaged.)

76+ 'vettes have a timer and do not appear to have any connection to the passenger seat or tranny.

GREETINGS, since i don't have the original seats or seat belts i have come up with another use for the seat belt light.
since we all know the temp gauge can be (at times) unreliable. i used my non-functioning light as a back-up temp warning light.
i added a temp light switch to the right head and wired accordingly.
just a lil' idea i had

ROBIN :w

what about a faulty seat sensor?

i had my interior out this last winter and there are sensors in the seat that let it know there is a person sitting in it, and then sets off the light.....just a thought tex.....chas

Thanks

Thanks Vettedude I knew I was not going nuts looking for a wire thats not there in the belt.I will look under the seat thanks, EYESOFTEX

Rex...FYI

Rex, in my 73 the seat has one bolt that is in the frame.....3 easy ones... and the rear bolt near the door is in the frame...there is a access hole for it...9/16 box end wrench will do...the washer is attached to the nut so you can re-install it by holdin it in place with the box end wrench. im not sure if your seats are the same but i think its gotta be close.....you wont be able to see or reach the sensor im talking about unless the seat is removed.

Good luck pal....Chas:w

Seat

Thanks chas, My seats are getting pretty old ,thats got to be the problem,:) Rex

72 seat belts

Hold up a momenyour car is a Pre Jant ... early '72 seat belts are VERY different than later '72 seat belts. If your car is a pre-January '72, all you'll have is a timer, than lights the light, for about 15 seconds AFTER you put it in gear ( for an auto, 4 - speed is a little different). There is no seat weight sensor, there are no retractor sensors.

From your initial problem description, it seems to me that you might just have an early '72.

Lights

Thanks all, It`s Been to Cold to mess with it right now , I just pulled the bulb out for right now , I`ll fix it right when it gets a little warmer .Rex

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom