Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Seat Upholstery and Control

D

dkaul1088

Seats appear to be a popular topic with C4's.
I have two seat-related issues on which I would like some help: First, I have a 1995 C4 convertible with leather sport seats. The power controls are separated into two groups, the control lever on the left and the lumbar/width function and driver/passenger mode switch on the right, separated by the ride control. Everything works except the control lever in the backward direction, which only works very intermittently. The problem is the same for both seats, so I think it is a problem with the control lever. Can this lever be serviced or must I try to find a replacement (GM says they no longer carry the part)?
Second, I purchased leather covered foam replacement seat covers from Eckler's. I have successfully installed them up to the point of securing the bottom of the seat back, back to front. It looks like the seat must be removed or disassembled to complete this task, however, I am not comfortable messing with all the air hoses. Is there a list of helpful hints or an instructional video on this task?

Second, I purchased leather covered foam replacement seat covers from Eckler's.

Is anyone aware of another company that offers LEATHER replacement seat covers for the C4 Sport Seats. All I seem to find is Leather/like covers.

The trip is short,
enjoy the ride,

Denny

I have checked Corvette Central and Eklers but find there prices a bit high.

I had two bucket seats for one of my classic cars done in a high quality leather several years ago and the upholstery and labor did not cost me what these people want for just the kit which does does not include labor to install.

I got a quote from a local upholstery shop which is one of the most expensive in the area and he quoted me $1100 for both seats which included removing the seats, fabrication of the leather covers and installation and this place does high quality work. It would also get rid of that nasty angled seam accross the bottom of the seat that is prone to riping apart. What makes the leather kits worth so much or .........

The trip is short,
enjoy the ride,
Denny

I have a 96 Collector Edition with the Torch Red interior. Corvette Central are the only folks right now that have the perforated leather and the Collector Edition stitching in the headrest. That and the "Corvette" tax are what makes those seats so darn expensive.

I am going to try and make do until someone else starts making them. A little competition should help.

WHILE SHOPPING FOR YOUR LEATHER SEATS, PLEASE REMEMBER TO SAVE THE :w!

In regard to the first issue or question... :)

Let me see if I can answer the original question...the switch is no longer available as you found out. So, you can buy one on Ebay to replace the one you have if you think that this might be an issue.

You can also take your switch out but you have to get it out of the console. The wiring/plugs are all the way under the seat and hidden by the carpet, so you'll have to take the seat out to actually replace the wiring once you determine that this is the problem. The switch mechanism also does not come out from the top of the switch panel. You have to unscrew it from the bottom of the housing. Then you can use another power seat switch, cheaper than the sport seat switch, and replace the old with the new one. Hopefully that will fix your problem. Test it first though by plugging the new switch piece into all the plugs you unplug when you take your old switch out...

I went through this with my seats, eventually taking the seats all apart to repair the lumbar hoses, pump, etc, installed/repaired the switch and finally had to replace the actual seat transmission since that was broken as well.

When I first got to this site, I talked with another guy in a couple of posts with the words "sport seats" in the header. Do a search and you should find it. Otherwise, you can PM me for more information. I've been all through my sport seats with the help of "JimBobC4" who mentored me here. Most people just don't want to get into it this deep.

Oh, should you need a switch test, I've got a couple as well as a spare set of sport seats that I took pieces out of and used as an example. (My lumbar bags were also bad...)

Ralf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom