Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: selling tips

silkysully

Corvette
1999 pewter coupe
:) I am thinking of selling my 1999 coupe in the spring. I am concerned about someone coming to my house to look at the car. I am also concerned about test drives and the monetary exchange. I am looking for advice on these concerns, and have gotten excellent advice in the past from our members. Thanks!

Yeah meet at a big store type parking lot where there are lots of folks around. After figuring out if the guy is legit or just someone trying to get something for nothing you can take it for a test drive with him at the wheel... I would go with a cashiers check from a known bank in the area.....can't be to careful these days sorry to say......

Yeah meet at a big store type parking lot where there are lots of folks around. After figuring out if the guy is legit or just someone trying to get something for nothing you can take it for a test drive with him at the wheel... I would go with a cashiers check from a known bank in the area.....can't be to careful these days sorry to say......

Thanks I do wonder about forged checks too!

Thanks I do wonder about forged checks too!

If they pay by check, regular or cashier's, have the buyer accompany you to the BANK ON WHICH IT WAS DRAWN, not your bank. Cash the check and get cash. If you are worried about carrying cash, turn around and get a cashier's check payable to you. Do not use your bank as they will back charge you if the buyers check doesn't clear.

There is a "link" on Kelley's Blue Book site where you can ask for local dealers to make you an offer on your car. It would be a wholesale price but if a local dealer offers you enough, you take it to them and go home with a check. Then there's no hassle with trying to sell the car to a private buyer as the dealer gets that headache.

I have sold a lot of cars from my home, some personal and some via a dealership I am a partner in. I normally let them go on a test drive by themselves but maybe not in a Vette. I always verify their drivers license and make a copy of it on my printer. If you can't make a copy just get all the info written down.

If you have concerns have a friend stay with the buyers car until he returns.

If course in SC we all carry weapons everywhere. Best insurance policy I have.

I think you're a little paranoid.:eyerole

Actually I do know of dozens of court cases of phony cashier's checks and money orders being used to buy FSBO cars, including several Vettes...and that was in just one jurisdiction. More than half of those caught passing the bad checks were meth heads who seem to have a great sources for good quality, but phony checks. I bought a Vette just a couple of years ago from a dealer who wouldn't release a title until a cashier's check clears. Phony checks are a big problem. The only way to protect yourself is by cashing, or trying to cash, the check at the issuing bank.

Last edited:
I agree with dadaroo with getting a copy of drivers license before the test drive.

I agree with Catbert reference payment. In Omaha recently, a couple dealers got stiffed for cars being paid for with counterfeit cashiers checks and money orders. You can always request a wire transfer from their bank to yours.

A couple aspects I was taught at the GM dealership I worked at, when talking with a potential buyer to see what stage they were in regarding the buying process, and how to control the sale...

1. Ask how many Vette's they've looked at and driven. You'll want to get a feel for them and their commitment to owning a Vette. Ask what other sports cars they've looked at and might be considering (as if you are assuming that they are going to buy a sports car in the near future). If yours is the first Vette, I'd be hesitant...they may be out joy riding.

2. Ask how soon they are looking to step in to a Vette. If they say they're not sure or haven't thought about it, most likely they had nothing else to do that day. I wouldn't let them take my car out...they're probably out joy riding.

3. Are all the decision makers present? If the wife or husband isn't there, you'll get the excuse "well, I need to talk with so and so...". There's no sense going any farther til both parties are there, cause no decision is going to be made any way, and you'll just have to go thru the whole process again...and a good sign that he/she is out joy riding.

4. Ask flat out if they have the funds in place. If 'No', then don't waste your time. They are NOT serious about buying a car.

5. Use common sense...someone shows up in a piece of **** and wants to test drive your Vette, obviously you dont let them. Obviously folks have work cars, but you know what I'm getting at.

6. We would ask how familiar they were with (insert vehicle their interested in). We ALWAYS did a walk around presentation of the vehicle (oustide, under hood, truck, interior) with the customer BEFORE it left for a test drive. Someones going from a CHEVETTE to a CORVETTE, they need to know where the turn signals are, how to adjust the seats and mirrors, the handling characteristics, blind spots, etc...

7. We ALWAYS went with the customer on test drives. Radio off, let the customers do his or her thing, answered questions as they arose. Plus when we got back to the dealership it allowed us the opportunity for a trial close by asking something to the effect of "So, is this a car you'd like to take home with you today?". If they said 'No', then they still had questions and I had obstacles to overcome.

8. It's YOUR Vette...YOU are in control of who gets to test drive it and who doesn't. I wouldn't recommend letting someone test drive just because they say 'I've always wanted one!'. I've always wanted a Ferrari too, but you know as well as I do that a seller isn't going to let me drive his Testarossa just because 'I've always wanted one'...well, maybe, if I pulled up in a Vette! :rotfl

Hope you found this enlightening and helpful. I shoulda used my DRAGON SPEAK on this one!! ;LOL

I agree with dadaroo with getting a copy of drivers license before the test drive.

I agree with Catbert reference payment. In Omaha recently, a couple dealers got stiffed for cars being paid for with counterfeit cashiers checks and money orders. You can always request a wire transfer from their bank to yours.

A couple aspects I was taught at the GM dealership I worked at, when talking with a potential buyer to see what stage they were in regarding the buying process, and how to control the sale...

1. Ask how many Vette's they've looked at and driven. You'll want to get a feel for them and their commitment to owning a Vette. Ask what other sports cars they've looked at and might be considering (as if you are assuming that they are going to buy a sports car in the near future). If yours is the first Vette, I'd be hesitant...they may be out joy riding.

2. Ask how soon they are looking to step in to a Vette. If they say they're not sure or haven't thought about it, most likely they had nothing else to do that day. I wouldn't let them take my car out...they're probably out joy riding.

3. Are all the decision makers present? If the wife or husband isn't there, you'll get the excuse "well, I need to talk with so and so...". There's no sense going any farther til both parties are there, cause no decision is going to be made any way, and you'll just have to go thru the whole process again...and a good sign that he/she is out joy riding.

4. Ask flat out if they have the funds in place. If 'No', then don't waste your time. They are NOT serious about buying a car.

5. Use common sense...someone shows up in a piece of **** and wants to test drive your Vette, obviously you dont let them. Obviously folks have work cars, but you know what I'm getting at.

6. We would ask how familiar they were with (insert vehicle their interested in). We ALWAYS did a walk around presentation of the vehicle (oustide, under hood, truck, interior) with the customer BEFORE it left for a test drive. Someones going from a CHEVETTE to a CORVETTE, they need to know where the turn signals are, how to adjust the seats and mirrors, the handling characteristics, blind spots, etc...

7. We ALWAYS went with the customer on test drives. Radio off, let the customers do his or her thing, answered questions as they arose. Plus when we got back to the dealership it allowed us the opportunity for a trial close by asking something to the effect of "So, is this a car you'd like to take home with you today?". If they said 'No', then they still had questions and I had obstacles to overcome.

8. It's YOUR Vette...YOU are in control of who gets to test drive it and who doesn't. I wouldn't recommend letting someone test drive just because they say 'I've always wanted one!'. I've always wanted a Ferrari too, but you know as well as I do that a seller isn't going to let me drive his Testarossa just because 'I've always wanted one'...well, maybe, if I pulled up in a Vette! :rotfl

Hope you found this enlightening and helpful. I shoulda used my DRAGON SPEAK on this one!! ;LOL

You've made some very good points and ones that I practice in my sale of Corvettes here at Corvette Mike's. While we encourage potential buyers to take the Corvette out for a ride, that is done ONLY when we have pretty much established that these are authentic buyers. Good advice!

Elaine

Lots of good advice, All I can add is bring a friend for safety maybe even in another car. I would not meet at home maybe your bank parking lot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom