Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Setting Body Back On

BLACK MOON

Corvette
15 Shark Grey 3LZ Z06
Can someone advise me as to the best method for setting a body back on the frame? Hoist? Several bodues? Pros and cons to either?
Thanks

I set a 62 body several times on and off a frame.

The most relaxed ,and secure lifts were done with an engine crane.

it seams with the buddy lift some one is always carring alot of weight and other are not depending where they are posistioned on the car.

Ray
Hi!

I am on my third body-off restoration and I found that using a two-post lift made the job very easy and you can do it by your self. If you choose the buddy method insure one person is in charge of watching all the wires, lines, and other items that can snag when lowering the body.

Good luck!!
Ray

Now that I have one in my new shop I use a two post lift. Before that I used a chain hoist with straps or lengths of chain attached to the body. The mechanical lift (as opposed to a "human" lift) gives you more precise control of everything.
Charles

I've always done body lifts/drops as an NCRS Chapter Tech Session, with training and assignments beforehand (and food and beer for afterwards); when you have 15-20 guys available, it's no problem. However, a 2-post lift makes it a lot easier, and you don't need a horde of people.The lift below was done a year ago last January as a Tech Session, in seven-degree weather, and we set a new record; 37 seconds from start of the lift to placing the body on the dolly and rolling the chassis back into the (warm) garage where the beer/food incentive was waiting. Was done at another member's garage that had a low ceiling - that's why we were doing the lift outdoors.
RUOOKCKWFXTWFBZGYJUU-Lift2.JPG

Me too. Although this was at the start of the project, you get the idea.

Rollin'rollin'rollin'.jpg

Note the guys inside the garage and what they're doing. The wooden dolly is on its way into the garage from photo left. ;)

Thanks all. I think i'm going for the block and tackle approach using the lift straps I used to remove it. I think it will afford me more control and fewer hands. With my friends the beer and pizza would cost as much as the paint job cost me.

I too am in the process of dropping a body back on a frame. I see guys have used 2 post lifts, I assume the lifting arms are placed at each fender well. I saw a picture of this and it scares me. Although the factory lifted them by the fender wells?? I pulled the body with a 2 post lift, used 1 arm of the lift at the center of the cage, had a guy at both ends and balanced it as it lifted. Not a good way to put a fresh painted body back on.. I am thinking of using the human lift method. Years ago I worked at a Corvette shop that lifted bodies with camper jacks, I wonder if you can still get them. They worked well.. Kurt

The first time I lifted the body off my '59 I used a 2 post lift and just swung the arms out over the lifting points and attached straps/chains. After I got the body off I tried rolling my rotisserie under it and discovered that I needed to raise it about another 6" higher than the lift would go. I ended up building a wooden extension frame to set on top of my lift arms for extra clearance.
Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.carols62.com/59/oct04.htm
Charles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom