Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Setting timing

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Hello Everyone,
Okay, trying to set the timing on my '81; Emissons label says 6 BTDC, okay; start engine, disconnect 4 pin connector, check timing and its like 30 AFTD. Running really rough as well. I can turn the distributor CCW and get it to run better and closer to 6 BTDC, but that's not where the distributor was when I pulled it out.

I have put a compression gauge on #1 and bumped the engine with the starter; got compression and the timing mark is coming up on TDC, put the distributor in so that the rotor is at #1. (It can only be at #1 or #6 due to the cross pin in the shaft for the oil pump.) So it must be positioned correctly.

But when I start the engine and pull the ECM connector, the timing is still way off.

So HELP!!! What have I done wrong here????

And also my tack that did work, has now stopped. The tack filter is not open or shorted, so I do not know where to go from here.

Again HELP!!!

Thanks to all that respone in advance

LannyL81
Tucson, AZ:confused

Okay, forget the original post. I finally figured out what I had done and why I was getting the results I was getting.

To make a long story short, I had spun the oil pump which put it in a different position than when I removed the distributor.

Timing is set, engine runs great!! Can't wait to drive this thing.

LannyL81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom