Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shark Diff Crossmember

68Roadster

Corvette
'68 White Vert '05 Silverado SS
So whats the trick in removing the differential crossmember (besides the obvious 2 bolts) after 36 years??
The bolts are out and I have tried a litle pry bar action but I haven't attempted brute force.
Also, any special tools required to replace the 2 bushings/cushions that are installed in the crossmember??

Thanks in advance for the help......

Cee

Shoot some PB Blaster up there so it soaks down into the joint, and from there it's just a matter of a BIG prybar and brute force - it will come down eventually; have a floor jack or crate or something a couple of inches below the diff, as that assembly is HEAVY when it finally breaks loose. The cushions rarely need replacing, unless the car has seen a really rough life; you bend the tabs open and press them out - it's shown in the Service Manual.

:beer

Thanks John,
They look like they are 36 years old but the car has been babied forever.
Main concern is to get it blasted and painted.

Have a good weekend.

You may also use a puller if you have one.Replace the bolt with a stud and jack against it. I have a 5' pinch bar I use in there that works well.

another easy way to do it is put a gear puller to the cross member. No brute force will be required. It will pop right off without prying
If the point on the puller doesnt center to the xmember bolt you can use an old T arm shim for a pry point, as shown in pic 2

C-man & Scrambler....
Thanks for the input. I sprayed 'em down with PB blaster and got out the big crowbar.
They popped off fairly easy.
It's not easy taking something apart like that when you don't know exactly how it does come apart.
Thanks for the pics....nothing like visual aids................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom