Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Shift boot on automatic

air1jpg

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe
I am getting ready to replace my center console top/tray and want to ask if the shift boot on a auto is attached to the console top/tray or is it attached to the gear selector assembly?

The leather boot is fastened to the console top. There are 4 clip on tinnerman nuts pressed onto the plastic of the lid. If you are careful you can remove the nuts and put thm on the new console lid. The new lid probably don't have the nuts with it.

The leather boot is fastened to the console top. There are 4 clip on tinnerman nuts pressed onto the plastic of the lid. If you are careful you can remove the nuts and put thm on the new console lid. The new lid probably don't have the nuts with it.

No the new lid does not have the nuts. Is it possiable to remove the nuts and detach the leather boot without removing the boot from the shifter?

Nope...the boot and shifter cover/bezel have to come straight up and off the shifter.
Re-assembly is reversed except that you have to line up the indicator fork on the pin that operates it.
To remove the shifter knob, use a pick or small blade type driver to gently pry the button up and set aside. Now you will need a dental pick, or 90 degree snap ring pliars to remove the ring thats down inside the knob. Once that is off, lift the knob off, then pull the stick back a couple clicks..(neutral or OD) and lift the cover off. The center info cluster bezel might also need to be removed to get the shifter cover off.Not certain about your yrs interior. Don;t be too surprized at what is growing under that cover...Everything ever spilled has survived under there and collected dust. Even armour-all drips.

Nope...the boot and shifter cover/bezel have to come straight up and off the shifter.
Re-assembly is reversed except that you have to line up the indicator fork on the pin that operates it.
To remove the shifter knob, use a pick or small blade type driver to gently pry the button up and set aside. Now you will need a dental pick, or 90 degree snap ring pliars to remove the ring thats down inside the knob. Once that is off, lift the knob off, then pull the stick back a couple clicks..(neutral or OD) and lift the cover off. The center info cluster bezel might also need to be removed to get the shifter cover off.Not certain about your yrs interior. Don;t be too surprized at what is growing under that cover...Everything ever spilled has survived under there and collected dust. Even armour-all drips.

Thank You!

Update.... I was able to remove and install my new console plate myself!!! Thank you all for the tips! It helped alot. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom