Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter Removal

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
Anyone know if I have to pull the trans to change a Hurst shifter on a 62?

Thanks

I was sure I'd have to drop the crossmember. When I put the trans in last time, the shifter was already on it. I'm sure it's one of those that will take a lot longer than I plan on jobs. I was thinking of replacing the two rubber trans mounts that it sits on in the crossmember until I looked them up in a parts catalog, I almost s**t when I saw $39.00 EACH!!! For a rubber bushing? I think NOT!!! The old ones will go back in and I'll look around at Carlisle in August.

I've pulled the Hurst shifter on my '56, muncie a few times. It did not require any other movement of parts. Just disconnect the linkage at the shifter and move the shifter around to find the path of no resistance. Takes some patience. Not sure if '62 is the same but expect it would be. One more hint: make a diagram of how the linkage was attached to the shifter. It can save a lot of time when reinstalling. Just my $.02
Rick

The rubber transmission mount is a one piece "U" shaped item with molded in steel bushings. If you're going to drop the crossmember, you might as well replace the rubber mount, especially if you don't know the age of your old one. Since you only require one, it's only $39, not $78, for two, as you thought.
I have a Muncie with a Hurst Comp + in my 56. I couldn't get the two mounting bolts to go in the the Hurst adapter plate. The heads of the bolts werehitting the side of the tunnel , not letting me slide the shifter into position to start the bolts. After screwing around with it for a couple of days, I took a 1" dia hole saw and drilled two holes through the side of the ttransmission tunnel in line with the bolts and installed the two bolts from inside the passenger compartment.. Saved the two discs and glassed them back into the two holes when finished. The carpet covers the "Bubba" solution to my problem.

Shows Two

The blow up diagram I have shows two, one for each bolt. I also noticed a round plug in the tunnel so I'm thinking someone may have already drilled the hole or holes for me having done this job with "Bubba" before. Good Ol' Bubba huh? I'm going to call the supplier Monday and see what they have to say since I've calmed down a bit after getting the price. Needless to say, if the old ones are shot, new ones will be going back in.

Thanks for the input, I'll post the updates.

If you're looking at Corvette Central's catalog, it shows one leg of the "U" stickinp through the rubber mount retainer giving the impression that there are two rubber disc, one for each bolt. If you check either Ecklers or Corvette World's catalogs, they show the indivual pieces and you can see see the shape of the rubber mount. Or better yet, check ZIP's web site. http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/shifter---transmission-transmission-mounts.html
It shows an exploded view of the parts.

WOW!

I was going to wait until I got the new shifter to pull it apart. Now I think I'm going to get in to it tomorrow. For some reason, I don't remember that type of mount. It's been over 4 years since I put the engine and trans in it so I'm a little foggy on everything, but "if" I remember right, and it's entirely possible I don't, someone may have done the "Bubba" trip on the mount. I'm almost sure I don't have the tailshaft bracket that goes on the very top and I have two separate bushings with maybe flat washers on them.

THANKS again for your input and taking the time to look up and post the pictures from Zip, I really appreciate it.

I'll see what it consists of and then get what I need to put it back together with the right parts.

On the 62 the top transmission bracket is not like the one shown. You should have a flat plate with 4 holes. One set mounts to the rubber mount and the other set fits the tapped holes in the transmission. There is a photo of it in Corvette Centrals catalog #531304.

Right You Are

I'm all set, the shifter came in today, (gotta LOVE the big brown truck) and the rubber piece will be here tomorrow. I do have the stock mounts and everything is correct as you said in regards to the 62 being a little different from the picture. Hopefully I'll be reporting back by tomorrow night and all will be fine.

Thanks Again

Done Deal

Well it was a simple switch if you have hands the size of a four year old, which by the way, I DO NOT!!! YIKES, is it a little tight under there!!!. Considering I had to do it on jack stands seeing as how the only lift I have access to was tied up for a few days, I guess it went well, just time consuming. Some of the bolts were the old 1/8 of a turn at a time and very tricky to get the wrench on. New shifter, new rubber, just like a new 62:D I want to thank everyone that took the time to help, it's appreciated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom