Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Should rocker arms be loose

S

Shadowing1985v

i took my valve covers off, and most my arms were lose

i coudl sit there and tap them

so me and my dad unloosen all fo them and found top dead center in each cyclinder and fixed it

my question is this

how much of a performace issue is this,, could this of game me loss of power

For sure, it reduces valve lift by the amount of slack it has to take up.

Marck

kewl

so i should be excited then

when i get it back together tomorrow

You may or may not notice it. Depends on how many were loose and by how much.

Marck

Hey Shadow,

This all depends. Seems to me you mentioned before you had some kind of a noise in the engine.

The stock style rockers really should not just get loose. You might have very worn rockers. You should have compared the tips where they hold the valve and push rod to see if they are mashed out.

A new set of stock rockers is cheap. I had an S-10 that just wore a hole through the pushrod side and was making all kinds of noise, then started skipping on that one cylinder. A new set of rockers and pushrods, and she ran another 40,000 quiet smooth miles.

I hope you guys rotated the engine, and set the valves according to specs, and did not just tighten them down until they appeared to be tight.

If you pull a valvecover, except for those valves that are open, the other rockers will be loose with the engine turned off and sitting still. (factor of hydraulic lifters).

Let us know.

from what I rember, shadowing has over 200k on his car... i agree that worn out rockers could be the case... What kind of rockers do you have though? are they the factory stamped rockers? or rollers? a new set may be in order if they are the factory originals

i had one off complety and it didn't look worn

and like 70 percent of them were loose

and yeah i found top dead center on all pistons before tightening them

i will know today
i use silcone instead of gasket
and it does way better

in fact some factories are starting to just use silcone
i think the noise was caused from my valve cover being on back wards cuas ei put on backwards accident
i have it all back together now almost and it looks really good

i wish i had a digital camera to show u guy's what my engine looked before i painted it then after...

if i buy rocker arms i will spend the little extra and buy those magnum ones,, 20 horse power increas, hehe,,

thanks for your imput i will tell u guy's whats going on,, when i get it back to running today

I think you gotta....

Check for clearences on the covers. I beleave you need the gasket....

yeah

somoene else said that

u think they could be hitting the top of m valve cover

well anyways i got myengine back together

it was idleing really bad now
but i think its out of time still

but anyways, i started my car
it idles between 49 and 65
once it setts its idling point

then i detatch my air control meter under my tps sensor
and the thing idles perfectly at 1300 rpms

then i shut the ngine off and put it back on and back tothe same thing again,,, does this mean something???

i took it down the road, and the thing was like starving for gas or something,, not really that just the gas pedal did nothing hardly was barly accerating.

im going to have my dad look at it tomrorow,, i think the noise in my valve covers have stoped, but its hard to hear when the thing is idling really bad, i think the D moved last time i had it running, might not of tighten it down good enough.. after i timed it,, i have this noise coming from my D "distrubator" i think my rotor is a little loose im goin to open up the cap and look at it in a few minutes. also i notice that the pully that tightens and loosens my belt is moving up and down while the enign eis running. should it do this?

really

i just snuged them where the rocker wouldn't sit there and tap

i do hear some really faint noises on each side of the enigne

maybe they are hitting the top of my valve cover

but i think there is tons of clearnance

those rubber gaskets arn't that thick

and i put the blue silcone on there pretty thick

Yeah, but...

The gaskets don't compress much. The silicone does. You may have put a lot on, but unless you let it dry completely before installing the cover, you probably squeezed a bunch out.
[RICHR]

sigh

i guess im going to take my covers off again tomorrow

sand blast them and paint them and put the rubber gasket in it

my dads friend told my dad a better way to adjust the valves

he said cover your intake with carboard so oil done'st touch it

and adjust them while hte engine is running.. to look at them move around

or something like that

If you have a friend who's a mechanic, he might have the special open valve covers that people use for adjusting SBC rockers. Essentially, it's a pair of valve covers with the centers removed and the edges tapered a bit towards the middle. They keep most of the oil in place when you're adjusting the arms with the engine running.

So here's my dumb question of the day - when adjusting the rocker arms with the engine off, and you are turning the engine to find TDC for each cylinder, do you:

a. Remove the serpentine belt so that you just have to turn the crank pulley? and
b. disconnect the spark plugs so that your car doesn't compression start?

These are probably elementary things that everyone knows, but as I'm about to replace the arms and DON'T know, I figured I'd ask...

TIA
[RICHR]

Shadowing-

I wish I were there to give you some advice and elbow grease. This whole thing sounds like a big challenge for you, but if you do not break something, the hands-on experience will be great. I've got to hand it to you. It takes guts to be doing what you are doing with, what appears to be, more enthusiasm than knowledge. Keep at it. You'll get it yet! Do you have a good vette repair manual to refer to. If not, surely the library will have something to help you with the basics.

well

i don't know how u do it with the engine running

my dad will show me

bu tu can take the spark plugs off and put your hand over the spark plug hole and when u fill air come out thats tdc

while u crank the engine over,,

hehe, thanks man

yeah im a amature,, i figure if a human guy built my engine,, i sure should beable to fix it, hehe

im really mad at my car though

i have oil around the threads of my spark plug threads

so a little oil is getting by my rings

i take hom 512 bucks a week starting this week
i have 0 bills
i still live at home
im 19

and i now decided what im going to do

im going to just build me a engine

a 383,, so im going to open up a new thread for all you guy's help on what i need to buy and what is the best there is to buy

ARGHH,

For the sake of it...go back and do it properly or you''ll end up hosing your engine.

Here's how to adjust the valves (without any cut open covers or what so ever)

HEre's the table that shows you wich valve to set at a certain crank position

adjust.gif

You adjust the valve correctly by rolling the pushrod between your fingers and tightening the nut slowly untill it becomes hard to turn the pushrod. This is zero lash. Now turn another 1/4 (or1/2, whatever you want) turn to set the proper preload

After you set the valves check the geometry, as in the contact survace valvestem-rocker and pushrod-rocker

You do remove the sparkplugs when you turn the engine, you can leave the belt

Marck

wow thanx

i'll show this to my dad and will work on it tomorrow

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom