Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Signal light won't flash

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi,

I recently had a front signal light burned. Caused my signal light to not flash on the passenger side. The Driver side works with no problem. I went today to buy a signal light bulb to replace the defective one.

Now all the lights comes on when I turn the signal lights on the right. but they won't flash. I've turned the Hazard light on. everything on both sides flashes.

So why in the hell the hazards light works all around the car and the signal light on the passenger side won't flash. It says ON Solid.

Can it be the flasher? is so, why is it working on the driver side? if it's a burned bulb that causes the problem ok but they are all working now.

What can be the problem now? Oh and by the way. I've replaced the burned bulb with the exact same number on the bulb. The old number on the blub was
1157 12v32/3cp the only difference now is that I have number 1157 12V and is not 3cp. it's 2 something.

please help

Check to see if the bulb is in 180 degrees off. The filiment resistance on one side of the bulb is different for the parking light and the turn signal.
If it's in backwards, the flasher won't work.

Or it could be the flasher. There are two. One for the 4-ways, and one for the turn signals.

the bulb can't be 180 defreees off. there's to pin that hold the bulb in place and you can only get it in one way. I've swaped the 2 bulbs from left to right and the new bulb I've baught is working ok. I still have the same exact problem on the passenger side. I'm thinking probably the flasher. but it's weird that it works on one side and not the other. have you ever seen a flasher only work on one side? Normally when they go bad. they won't work on either side right?

Ok. I went to play on the car again. I've checked all light bulbs, front, side, and rear. I've discovered that the problem with not on the signal light but with the park light in front bumper. when I turn my lights ON. there is only one lightning up. Knowing my bulb is working (new) it can only mean a bad connection somewhere.

Soes it means I need to change the bulb connector? or is it a simple ground? Oh and also when I turn the lights on. The signal light indicator comes ON. on the same side of the light that won't come ON

Here's a picture of outside
Lightoutside.jpg

and here's on from inside on the gauge
lightinside.jpg

Is there a simple fix? does anyone have a wiring diagram? I hate electronics the wires are always hard to get to.

the bulb can't be 180 defreees off. there's to pin that hold the bulb in place and you can only get it in one way. I've swaped the 2 bulbs from left to right and the new bulb I've baught is working ok. I still have the same exact problem on the passenger side. I'm thinking probably the flasher. but it's weird that it works on one side and not the other. have you ever seen a flasher only work on one side? Normally when they go bad. they won't work on either side right?

Normally, when a flasher stops flashing on one side, it means a bulb is out.
The flasher has a bi-metallic strip with a heater wire wrapped around it that makes and breaks the switch contacts to the light bulbs. As the metal gets hot, the strip bends and opens the contacts. When it cools, it straightens back out and closes the contacts.

The fact that you are working on one side and not the other indicates that there is a normal current draw on the working side, and a lower current draw on the side that isn't.

Now, the trick is to find out why.
Could be a different resistance bulb, corrosion on the socket, or a bad ground.

Since we can assume that you didn't have this problem before you blew the old bulb, the simplest explaination is probably the most logical.
The new bulb isn't right for the application.

I would swap the new bulb side-to-side with the one that works, and see if the problem follows the bulb. If not, then it could be a corroded contact or something in the circuit that is increasing the resistance in the circuit.

Some new bulbs have a different resistance than the OEM spec'd bulbs.
But an 1157 should be an 1157 off the shelf and in the car.
I have bought new bulbs that are defective right out of the package.

ok. finally found the problem. Darn it. it almost drove me crazy man. the problem was not the bulb. the one I've baught was ok. Funny enouph I had 2 problems, that's why it was difficult.

1st problem was a burned bulb.

so when I've changed the buld it didn't want to flash because there was another problem elsewhere

2nd problem was the connection between the 2 wire harness. I've disconnected the wire harness, sprayed some WD-40 in the socket then plug everyting back together.

It started to work right away. Problem fixed !!!

Always got to happen to me, When I have a problem it can never be easy.

thanks for your help wishuwerehere82. much appreciated !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom