Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

simple horn fix for a simplistic design, '91

J

joe paco

MVC-515S.JPGMVC-513S.JPGMVC-512S.JPG MVC-514S.JPG

the thumb buttons on my '91 were intermittent, would work for a while, then fail. I used a thin putty knife, gently pried the buttons towards the center to release the little feet, shown, then pulled it to release the long side. (got that idea on CAC somewhere, maybe Hib. Haynes Manual does not cover this type of horn)

the copper coated steel contacts are designed to spring back after being pressed, to break ground - the oil can affect. my understanding is that the buttons simply ground the relay. the contacts were floating out of location in their little "picture frames" I guess. noticed the horn started working once when the wheel was turned hard.

one pic shows one contact removed to show grounding pin. I reassembled, put some clear tape over them to secure to their positions (tape on a Corvette? whatever works, especially if hidden.) used alum tape on one side, since it has more glue.

reinstall buttons with long side first, wiggle into position to lock feet, or you'll be ordering a new one.

the fix is probably not permanent, but so far, two days, dozens of times, horns work. sure beats removing air bag, as earlier models require. unplug horns while working, unles your nerves are better than mine.

I will say that the horn design is meant to fail. Sure not six sigma! For the amount of use/abuse they get, they should last at least 100 years.:chuckle

joe
pencil.png

View attachment 3910View attachment 3908View attachment 3907 View attachment 3909

the thumb buttons on my '91 were intermittent, would work for a while, then fail. I used a thin putty knife, gently pried the buttons towards the center to release the little feet, shown, then pulled it to release the long side. (got that idea on CAC somewhere, maybe Hib. Haynes Manual does not cover this type of horn)

the copper coated steel contacts are designed to spring back after being pressed, to break ground - the oil can affect. my understanding is that the buttons simply ground the relay. the contacts were floating out of location in their little "picture frames" I guess. noticed the horn started working once when the wheel was turned hard.

one pic shows one contact removed to show grounding pin. I reassembled, put some clear tape over them to secure to their positions (tape on a Corvette? whatever works, especially if hidden.) used alum tape on one side, since it has more glue.

reinstall buttons with long side first, wiggle into position to lock feet, or you'll be ordering a new one.

the fix is probably not permanent, but so far, two days, dozens of times, horns work. sure beats removing air bag, as earlier models require. unplug horns while working, unles your nerves are better than mine.

I will say that the horn design is meant to fail. Sure not six sigma! For the amount of use/abuse they get, they should last at least 100 years.:chuckle

joe
pencil.png

My horn... :flipa

;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL
Its not loud but I get the point across.

My horn... :flipa

;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL
Its not loud but I get the point across.
what's that supposed to be? a "come here" signal?:L

works fine -except to say HI to mom as you pass!

I seldom used the horn until I discovered it didn't work.

joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom