Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Size Difference

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
Got a call today from a friend putting a 62 together he bought with no engine or trans. He bought a super T 10 transmission and says that now after installing the engine and trans, his crossmember is off at least two inches for the trans. Anyone know why there would be such a difference? Is it in the tailstock of the trans maybe?

Thanks
Lou

Rowdy I am not familur with the C1'S yet. Does a C1 have a removeable cross member and if yes could it be installed backwards? I purchased a grand prix once that the guy could not put the car back together and all his major problems where just little thing like this that just took a little thought to correct.

I could never align the bumpers on my C2 and finally I figured out (actually my wife gave the the hint) That the bumper support brackets were reversed.Wish him luck and have him drop by

Yes There Is

It's removeable, but he can't come close to the bolt holes in the trans when he puts the crossmember in place. It's been a while since I did mine and "if" I recall correctly, it will only fit the frame one way. Part of the problem is, I can't see what he's talking about as the car is at his work.
Thanks

The Super T-10 used in the Corvette was exactly the same length and had the same mount location as the Muncie and original T-10; the aftermarket Super T-10's used different tailhousings with a different mount location, and usually had cast iron main cases (the Corvette Super T-10 main case was aluminum).
:beer

OK.

Thanks John, that's a point to start at, I'll give him a call.

I installed a muncie in my 56, replacing the 3 speed. I had to use an adapter plate about 3/8' thick to make up a couple inch difference front to back on the mounting difference of the Muncie. I also had to get a long 26 or 27 tooth yoke. Both items are available from the usual vendors.

Right

I can understand the difference in the tails from a 3 to a 4 and the need for a plate. I just got off the phone with my friend and he says the trans is definately alum housing and it was in an 86 Camaro. He bought this car as a 1/4 miler and it came with box after box of parts and he now thinks he may have found the piece he needs but it may have been welded somehow to beef up the drive line. He's going to check it out tomorrow.

Much thanks for the replies guys.
Lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom