Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

small wheels large tires

1DOWN6TOGO

hey guys,
i've been getting in on the "tire" thread in the C4 forum. those guys were really helpful in recommending me tires.
and i've asked about wheels and tires on this forum as well. everyone is helpful as always.
well i'm really starting to worry about cost. i have too many bills to go spending all sorts of $$$ on my C3. i've done so much work on her already, and i'm still paying on all of that work.
i've been checking around and it looks as if i could still get tires and save quite a bit of money (by keeping my rally rims) if i just buy large tires (as in 50-70 series, not low profile) to fit the 15" rims. an added benefit of this is that it looks beter under those large shark fenders.
--my problem is that i don't know what sizes are best, or if there are any certain types of "large" tires that are better
and i have to ask, can i transfer the rims from my 8 x 15 wheels to 10 x 15 wheels.
you guys have any helpful advice? thanks

The fact that there are not many good 15" tires left on the market is going to dictate which 15" tires you use. 15x8 wheels usually have 255-60-15 tires. The most common tire of this size is the BF Goodrich Comp TA. Goodyear and Firestone also make tires in this size. The only speed rated tire on the market in a 255-60-15 or similar size is the Pirelli P Zero made for sport utes. I think it is V rated. This is one of the reasons many shark owners are opting for larger wheels.

Jim

Without opting for larger wheels the Goodrich T/A is a great tire.
IMHO

Carlo

comp t/a or radial t/a?

they have a great range of sizes for the radial t/a
some "meaty" lookin' tires. could make me feel like i was livin' 30 years ago or something. lol

speed ratings

comp t/a is rated h
radial is rated s

jim,
i just had to tell the C4 guys that my network at work won't let me click on the links y'all place here. where can i find that thread you just linked?

does anyone know if the chrome rally rim on the stock 8 x 15 wheel on C3s can be used on a 10 x 15 wheel?

the forum I'm refering to is corvetteforum.com under the C3 section. Not sure what you mean by a 15x8 wheel fitting a 10x15 wheel???? the comp/ta is R speed rated. They make an H rated (comp t/a H) but not in the 255x60x15. Someone wrote the other day that Goodrich is no longer producing the comp t/a:( I've thought of changing out my factory wheels in the future. I'm really thinking of going 16" just to make sure I can get good tires in the future. Looks like the 15" tire is on it's way out. A darn shame considering all the muscle cars using 15" rims.

Jim

what i meant was, i'm wondering if i can take the chrome beauty ring from a 15 x 8 and use it on a 15 x 10 wheel. that would save some money. and if i want 15 x 10 wheels in the back if i go the way of 15's. it's a shame about the comp t/a.
if you do upgrade wheels. go at least 17. it's a better looking wheel than 16. and you can always find better tires.

Well, i bought big tires. i made up my mind on the BFG Radial T/A's
i bought 295/50r15 and 235/60r15 to replace crappy set of 215/70r15 michellins all around. and i have to go buy some 15 x 10 wheels this evening so i can get the tires mounted tomorrow.
i got a great deal. i buy all of my tires at Sears if i can. they have the best hazard and return policies. well, this time around they actually gave me more $ for my old tires. so to buy the big beautiful BFG Radials they actually had to pay me $26 and change.
any opinions? did i mess up? they're not mounted yet.
what do y'all think?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom