Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smog Pump

S

Shadowing1985v

i think im going to get rid of it

its discounected,, who oever owned it befor eme,, dissedcounected it, but tis still on my belt,, i wan to get rid of it, so i won't have to use hp to turn it,,

is this a good idea???

and the person that pluged up the smog pump before me, would that make my corvette act funny, with it pluged up,,with the way the comptuer reads,, my settings??, anyone know

The computer does not even care about the pump in terms of check engine lights, etc.

You can't just yank it off as the design of the pulley system won't let the belt work without it there. Look in the portal here, and go through the various Corvette Retailers. Many now sell the eliminator bracket/pulley that lets you yank it off.

I simply found a spare on, opened it up, gutted out the fins and moving parts. Cleaned, lubricated, and reinstalled it on the car to act as a simply idle pulley. It is big, ugly, and no longer functional, but.....I saved the original one, all the plumbing, and original exhaust manifolds with the AIR tubes do it could be reconnected as needed later with very little hassle.

If the prior owner simply "plugged" it, then you are at risk of it coming apart inside and making noise, and or stranding you when it locks up and throws the belt.

You better look into that.

Save all your equipment in case you move to a state that has emissions checks. After moving from FL to NJ it took three tries before my car passed. Also check for the catalytic converter. The previous owner of my 85 removed the guts, changing the converter into a pipe.

hehe

i cleaned the guts out of my converter too

they cost like 150 bucks,,screw that, hehe,,
my dads friend does the imspecting of my car, so he will just ignore it,, hehe,,it pays to know have certian friends.

but anyways, i know what i will do,, im going to have my dad just build me a new pulley and i will stick it on there,, and yank the smog off,,

does that sound liek a godo idea, i will make the pulley a little smaller too

my dad is a tool and die maker,, and engineer

Good call Chris I was thinking was doing the same! I'll check the portal out myself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom