Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So tell me...

Tripleblack51

Corvette
C7 Z06 /1967 Coupe
When and how did you acquire your C1-C2?

I had been looking for a midyear for a few years then gave up and got into the C5s.
Two and a half years ago I was at a car show and my friend came up and said some guy was selling a midyear.
I met and spoke with him and found out it was a coupe. I had my heart set on a roadster, but I took his number anyway.

Three months later I called him. I went to see the car and fell in love.
The price was fair, and after getting a buddy of mine that was well versed in mid-years to help me, I decided to buy the car.
I actually had buyer's remorse the night before my wife and I went to pay for it and pick it up. I thought about not buying it.

My wife said "you're buying that car, you're not backing out".
Well, I guess she told me.

She has got to be the most supportive wife in the world.
I am a lucky man.:)

What's your story?

Pedro

I had always wanted an early chrome bumper C3. When I finally decide last year to just bite the bullet and get one I started looking around. I went to look at a few cars and finally ended up at a specialty dealer that had a few of them. Well, it had been a long time since I had been in ANY Vette at all and since that time I grew a lot - both up AND out ;LOL
I went to sit in a '70 coupe the dealer had although I was really looking for a C3 'vert and guess what? Those things do NOT have a lot of room inside them! Even my wife was not at all comfortable in the passenger seat. We went over to another early C3 they had and thried that one too. I realized right than that it wasn't going to work.
I'm not too ashamed to admit that I was about to start crying ;LOL Really, my dream since I was 12 was now out the window completely. There was NO WAY I could buy and early C3 and realistically expect to be able to get in and out of it and drive it. This dealership also had a few C2's and my wife said lets sit in one of those and try it out. As much as I loved the C2's also I had never imagined getting one - the C3 was REALLY stretching the budget for us and was already more than we had originally planned on spending for a "toy". But, to please her I said OK and we sat in a '66 Mosport Green coupe they had. As soon as our butts touched the seats we looked at each other and knew this was the car for us (not THAT one, but a C2). I explained to my wife that a C3 was already beyond what we had planned on spending and the C2's were double that amount again. All she did was look at me and say that if we could afford it than go for it! Man, what a great wife!!!
So now the search started all over again for a C2. I refused to buy one that I couldn't see in person so looked all over eBay and other places online for cars that were within approx 2 hours or so from us so I could go look at them. Finally saw one that sounded and looked pretty good at a specialty dealer in MD which was part of my sales territory for my job at the time. I was heading down to NC the following week so on my way down I stopped in to look at the car. I kinda knew this very well may be my car as soon as I started looking it over. great condition, just completed a body-off restoration, price was withing our "new" range, etc. I told him I wanted to come back with my friend who was my "vette expert"v and my wife to look it over but the problem was both of them were only avaialble on Sundays and they were closed. the dealer said no problem he would come in and meet us that Sunday. We got there and he already had pulled the car into another area of the shop and put it up on the lift for us to look over. We ended up spending 5 hours looking over the car completely and test driving it. I knew this was my car. I hated to make an emotional decision right than and there though so I told him I needed to think about it overnight. Like you Pedro, I wasn't sure if I was making the right decision and asked my wife about 100 times that night if she thought we should get the car or not. She got so sick of telling me "yes, buy it" that after a while she just started ignoring me. I called him the next morning and told him he just sold a car and i'd be back the next saturday to pick it up. I picked up my new C2 on Sat. March 13th 2004 (hmmmm that was the 13th - wonder if that explains all my bad luck I've had?)
which was excatly 2 weeks before my birthday so it made one h*ll of a great b-day gift for myself.
BTW, the car's b-day is Feb 26,1965. It was the very last car to come off the line in Feb (the VIN is listed in the NCRS book as the final VIN # for Feb '65). It's not a March car but close enough that we now share b-day cakes together ;LOL

I started out looking for a C3 and ended up with a C2 and I'm glad I did. I LOVE this car!!!

so, that's my story.

February of 2003. In the other forum for sale section. Seemed like no one wanted the already restored 1967 with a pristine frame and an 8/10 paint job. The Powerglide was apparently the glitch re the price and allure.

Here she is ready for transport to Canada from Pennsylvania.

bag.jpg

A friend of mine, a disabled Viet Nam Vet, had this '65 stingray sitting in his garage. It was a gift to him from his first wife who died about 2 years after she gave it to him (late 1980's). He parked the car and never drove it again. He eventually remarried but never did anything with the Vette. In fact, his new wife did not like it. I speculate it reminded him of his first wife, the love of his life, and she had a problem with that. So his new wife used the Vette as a shelf in the garage and ruined the paint.

In 2002 or so, we spoke about restoring the Vette to what it deserved. At about the same time his wife started talking separation and divorce. She moved out and about a year later she divorced him. He gave up. His health was getting worse and the VA was not real helpful. The VA finally admitted him into the hospital and he died about 3 months later. His brother made me a "SWEETHEART" deal on the car. It needs a lot of work, more than I thought but still a deal and even more sentimental.

I have been racking my brains for a year trying to figure out what to call this black beauty sitting in my shop. It will eventually be white as it was from the factory but with a metalic twist. My DAV buddy's name was Warren "Web" Webber, his beloved wife Leslie. The divorcing wife, well, lets not bring her name into the picture. Web was in the Army and a heavy equipment opertor in Nam. He got blown up by a mine the first time and a rocket the second time. They didn't think he would live but he went on to walk again and worked for the USPS for many years before he had to take a medical retirement. I would appreciate some help giving this special ride a name, especially if a Nam Vet out there would think about it. God be with you Web.

Thanks,
Al

Al
how about Chloe

C= courage
H= honor
L=love
O=order
E=equipment (operator) sorry, it was the best I could come up with for "E"

paul67 said:
February of 2003. In the other forum for sale section. Seemed like no one wanted the already restored 1967 with a pristine frame and an 8/10 paint job. The Powerglide was apparently the glitch re the price and allure.

Here she is ready for transport to Canada from Pennsylvania.

What a great find...thanks for sharing Paul.

Pedro:beer

Al 65 Sting said:
His brother made me a "SWEETHEART" deal on the car. It needs a lot of work, more than I thought but still a deal and even more sentimental.

Thanks,
Al

Al,
great story. Thank you for sharing.
I wonder how many stories these old cars could tell if they could talk.

I know there are some who've owned their cars from day 1.
I wish I had been able to do that.

I'm looking forward to more great stories.

:w

Pedro

I met my wife about 8 years ago and got married a little over 5 years ago. While dating, I mentioned that at one time I had a 62 and someday I wanted another Corvette. I never mentioned it again.

In 2001 (I was 47) on Father's day, I got a card from my wife with a blank check in it and a note that said "Now go buy your Corvette". After a few months of looking I found my 64 and the rest is history.

We bought a new house in 2002 and the first thing my lovely wife did was to secretly start saving enough money to build a garage for "my" Corvette. She gave me that present on Xmas 2002. With the exception of the concrete work, we built it together in 2003.

That's my story. Yes, I know I'm about the luckiest guy on the planet. She's not even a "car person". (And no, she doesn't have a sister)

Well for me

I never liked corvettes,I never had an intrest in them.I always like old cadillacs and Big Block mustangs. A freind stopped by my shop with a new to him Big Block couple with side pipes on it. He took me for a ride. By the time he hit 3rd gear with the tires burning and the car drifting sideways I knew I had to have a big block midyear. It was love at first ride.

It may sound silly but I just love the tourque of a big block. I thought the mustangs with a big block in them were exciting. But a mid year being shifted at its red line really take my breath away.

This same guy had a big block cobra and I was smart enough not to go for a ride, as I cant afford any more cars.

My fathers sister lived with us when we were growing up and she had a 65 or a 66 yellow convertable that we used to ride in. 4 kids use to alwasy ride in the car with her.2 in the front seat and 2 under the convertable deck lid cover. Her car was yellow and when I purchased mine I was looking for a yellow big block.

This is not how I found my C1 but rather how someone found mine.

I purchased a newly restored, NCRS topflight, 62 fawn/fawn car in 1999. A few years later I purchased another 62 for a frame conversion project. When the frame conversion car was completed I realized that I was not driving the NCRS 62 so I decided to sell it. I had lots of pictures of the car, so I constructed a web site with all the pictures, details, and documentation. I had not really advertised the car as being for sale when someone from California (I’m located in NC) called me about the car. Seems he had found my web site through an internet search.

We talked for about an hour on the phone and he agreed to send me a deposit on the car and then fly to NC to drive the car back to CA. I thought it was rather strange that he would want to drive the car back and tried to talk him into having it shipped, but he insisted that he wanted to drive it back. My wife and I met him and his wife at the airport. He and his wife were big NASCAR fans and they were both wearing Earnhardt jackets, that is how we recognized them at the airport.

Turns out that in the early 70’s he had purchased a fawn/fawn 62 from someone in North Wilksboro, NC and he and his wife had had driven it back to CA in a hurried 3 day trip. After having the 1st. 62 for a few years, he had to sell it for money to start a new business. Evidently he did rather well in his new business and decided to look for another fawn/fawn 62. The first thing he said to his wife after looking over the car was “We should have had it shipped”, but at this point he was pretty much committed to driving the car home. He told us his plans for driving home included seeing some of the local NASCAR shops and when he left we took him over to Richard Childress Racing, which is about 10 miles from my house.

A few weeks later we received an email from him telling us that except for a loose fan belt, the car ran fine and that he and his wife had had a great (leisurely) trip home, doing a lot of sightseeing along the way. After he and his wife had left RCR they had stopped at Dale Earnhardt Industries in Mooresville, NC. When he pulled into the parking lot, someone came out and told him that he was to park right in front because Dale had wanted all Corvettes to park there. When he pulled into the parking area he had also noticed the flag was at half staff and learned later that this was the anniversary of Dale’s death. There was a TV station camera crew there and since he and his wife were still wearing there Earnhardt jackets, and he was driving an old Corvette, they were interviewed by the TV station. I guess that really made his day and my car had definitely found a good home[font=&quot].[/font]

Barry,
I see that I did not answer your question. The car was in Honesdale, just outside of Scranton.

I decided on getting a C2 after owning an 84 and then a 96. At the time I had the 96 and a Bassboat. My wife informed me one or the other had to go before I could purchase yet another Corvette. I had only owned the 96 for about 10 months at this point. The Bassboat was the chosen sacrifice. I began searching while trying to sell the boat, which turned out to be quite a task. Had located a 66 in Austin Texas that looked pretty good, and began to agressively deal on the boat. Made a deal with a guy in Louisiana for the boat which included delivery to his home. On the way I took a route I had never taken before, and on the way, came across a nice 64. It was in better shape and better price than the 66. Went on to deliver the boat, then returned to the location that had the 64 and put a deposit down. That was 3 years ago, and would not trade the car for anything else !!

It's funny I grew up with a 66 in the garage all my life at my parents house but it sat for the better part that I can remember. I remember riding in it when I was little and have a pic of me in it when I was around 3 or so.
me.jpg

I always loved standing behind it when dad first started it up and feel the exhaust get warm as it exited. Mom always made me take a bath after this but I didn't care. Dad had bought the car from the second owner that was a school teacher. I wish I had scanned some of the pics he has but it's Milano Maroon with Keystone classics on it. That was in 1973, around 1983 he with a growing family and personal business just didn't have time for it. He parked it until I joined the NAVY. During the 80's he also picked up a 65 Silver vert that had been wrecked in the front and flares on the rear. He put a new Eklers front clip on and new rear fenders. It broke my heart the day that he sold it.. I loved that Silver 65.

He still has the Milano 66 and I new I had to have one.Here is his 66.
Sidewhardtop.jpg

I looked for about a year before I found the car that I could afford and was worth the money. I bet I looked at close to 20 vettes before I went out to the Charlotte Autofair at Lowe's Motor speedway. Now I never thought that this would be the car but when I walked up on it. I knew.. It didn't have the right motor but it was a nice midyear that was a driver. That is really what I was looking for as I wanted to be able to do what ever I liked to the car. Plus it allowed me to rebuild it over the last two years. The motor ran well, not the strongest small block but it was okay. The whole mechanicals were the original and had not be rebuilt.. They are now though...

Here is what my car looked like when I first got it.
side12.jpg

I went up to see him after I found the car and we got a good shot together..
Dadandmeangled.jpg

Subfixer said:
I met my wife about 8 years ago and got married a little over 5 years ago. While dating, I mentioned that at one time I had a 62 and someday I wanted another Corvette. I never mentioned it again.
Subfixer said:
In 2001 (I was 47) on Father's day, I got a card from my wife with a blank check in it and a note that said "Now go buy your Corvette". After a few months of looking I found my 64 and the rest is history.

We bought a new house in 2002 and the first thing my lovely wife did was to secretly start saving enough money to build a garage for "my" Corvette. She gave me that present on Xmas 2002. With the exception of the concrete work, we built it together in 2003.

That's my story. Yes, I know I'm about the luckiest guy on the planet. She's not even a "car person". (And no, she doesn't have a sister)

Subfixer,
Great stuff.
Our timelines with our ladies are very smilar. My wife and I started dating about 7 years ago and have been married a little over 5 years.

It's great to have a supportive wife isn't it?

For my birthday she gave me a check to have the garage tiled in black and white checker!

Thanks for sharing..

IH2LOSE (Quote)
It may sound silly but I just love the tourque of a big block. I thought the mustangs with a big block in them were exciting. But a mid year being shifted at its red line really take my breath away.)

Larry, nothing silly about it...that power is very addicting.
The sound ain't too shabby either..

cbernhardt (Quote)

There was a TV station camera crew there and since he and his wife were still wearing there Earnhardt jackets, and he was driving an old Corvette, they were interviewed by the TV station. I guess that really made his day and my car had definitely found a good home[font=&quot].[/font]

Great story..how fitting. Talk about great timing!

TLeBlanc (Quote)
On the way I took a route I had never taken before, and on the way, came across a nice 64. It was in better shape and better price than the 66. Went on to deliver the boat, then returned to the location that had the 64 and put a deposit down. That was 3 years ago, and would not trade the car for anything else !!

Seems like that car was waiting for you. Fate?

youwish2bme (Quote)
It's funny I grew up with a 66 in the garage all my life at my parents house but it sat for the better part that I can remember. I remember riding in it when I was little and have a pic of me in it when I was around 3 or so.
I went up to see him after I found the car and we got a good shot together..

Real nice story...you've been hooked on vettes since you were a little tyke!
Good pic with you, your dad, and the vettes.
Beautiful cars.

Thanks for sharing guys,

Please keep the stories coming!:w

Pedro

I was hell bent on buying a C-1. On the way to a cruise in Vineland NJ I stopped at Contes Corvettes which a friend of mine had told me about. They were closed but my '66 was in the window shining like new money. Big block with A/C and a 4speed. I pressed my nose and camera lens against the glass and when I showed the pictures to my wife she said "Why don't you buy it?" So I did. Months later we sold our BMW Z-3 roadster because my wife wanted something more conducive toward driving our new granddaughter around safely. One day she said "I miss the convertible". No problem, I thought. Eventually, the C-1 I wanted in the first place showed up in the exact colors I wanted, once again at Contes in Vineland. Backyard Buddy time! Poeple ask me which one I like best. I can't answer that. I like them both for different reasons. The C-1 does seem to get more attention but it's the driving and the feeling of being "taken back" that's important to me and they both deliver that feeling, allbeit in different ways.

Have done seven Corvette body-off restorations over the last 30 years, plus street rods, highboys, Cobras, seven Ferraris, and just about anything else that appealed to me. Had been out of Corvettes for about twenty years, just sold my third Cobra, decided in 1995 to build the tube-frame Grand Sport I always wanted. Then found a '57 Corvette that had been sitting in pieces in a dirt-floor garage in North Carolina for 16 years, sold the Grand Sport after driving it for two years and spent two years doing a body-off on the '57; Top-Flighted it and drove it for five years, then wanted a better highway cruiser. Sold the '57, found the '67 about 80% restored in Minnesota, bought it and finished the restoration, Top-Flighted it in 2004, now I drive it all the time :D

Here's the last Cobra at the Unique Cobrafest at Talladega:

20023115830-0-Cobrafrt34.jpg

Here's the Grand Sport right after the 1996 "Run-N-Gun" event at Norwalk:

200222815154-4-GSscan5(2).jpg

Here's the '57 after Top Flight:

2002313142426-0-VetteLF34.JPG

And here's the '67 on the fly:

Track3700.jpg

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom