Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Some pics of the 59 chassis

John Mcgraw

Corvette
1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod
Sorry about the delay in getting some pics posted of the chassis for the 59 project, but It has been a busy month or two.
I mocked up the frame with all the suspension and drivetrain and set the body down on the frame. I have checked all the clearance issues and have fixed those areas where it was going to be a problem.
I then made jigs from the original frame to properly locate the bumper brackets on thew new frame. After disassembling the the running gear, I fabricated and welded the new bumper brackets and Battery tray supports to the frame. I also had sway bars fabricated and located the mounts on the frame.
I then blasted the frame and primed it with DP90 followed by PPG urethane primer surfacer. After hours of sanding on the tubes to make them all smooth as a babies butt, I shot 2 coats of single stage Viper Red on the frame. I decided not to clearcoat the frame in order to make future touch ups easier. The paint looks really good without clear anyway, and it is after all the underside of the car!
The Rotator that I built a couple of months ago paid for itself on this project alone. You can not believe how many different angles there are on this frame and I don't think that you could paint it any other way, short of dipping the frame!
The chassis is now back on the ground and I will start putting the suspension back on it this weekend. For those of you who are used to seeing my nasty shop, you will notice that I have painted the entire shop with a fresh coat of semi-gloss pure white paint, and have put down a brand new epoxy floor. I had to completely stop working in the shop for two full weeks to do the project, but the end result was worth it! I will try to post some pics of the finished project latter this weekend.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/frame1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/frame2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/frame3.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/frame4.jpg

John,

I am overcome with lust. Fantastic!!

Is that the SRIII frame?

Tom

Hi Tom,
Yes, this is a SRIII frame. Mike really builds a nice frame doesn't he? A really good Value to boot, he charges less to build a completely new chassis then Newman does to cut up a perfectly good C1 frame. A really good turn-arround time as well!
Regards, John McGraw

Dang VillagePhotos. I can't see the photos. :cry

I bet I'd like them too.

Hvn',
Check your Email! I sent you some full sized pics of the frame, not those little shrunk down ones that I can post on Village Photo.
One of these days, I am going to have to get you to show me how to set up a home page so I can build chapters as the project progresses. It did not take long with everyone looking at the pics today, to used up my free bandwidth for the day!
Regards, John McGraw

I'd like to see the pictures John, but unfortunately you are overdrawn at Village Photos! :L

The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit.

67HEAVEN said:
John,
That car will be amazing. Great photos. Thanks.

Patrick,
I'll send those photos on if you want. They're big!

Yep '67, please send them to me, thanks. :D

I'll bet those pics are something to drool over:D

I wouldn't mind getting a copy in my e-mail since I can't see them either;)

Here's a 57-62 tube frame pic from the SRIII page, I hope they don't mind. Bummer that they don't produce a tube frame for midyears - they just modify the stock frame.

400_C-4%20red%20chassis.jpg

Here's a tube frame for midyears from Jamison's Custom Corvette. This will probably end up underneath my 66's shell in the near future.

IM000795.jpg

Re:

NICE PICS JOHN! Could you tell me how much that frame runs? I keep looking for an original one, but the more I keep thinking about it.... A new one would be just as nice!

Is the URL www.sriii.com? Can someone let me know?

Thanks,

Jim (CHEV66JB)

Looks great, John! :beer

I'm not even done with my car yet, but seeing yours makes me want to start a new one! :crazy

- Mike Greene

Jim,
It is a really nice frame, but it is intended for late model C4 suspension and coil-over shocks. If you are looking to keep a period correct drivetrain, there is a exact copy of the original frame being made out there for the C1. Mike charges about $5500 dollars for a bare frame and about $10K for a roller with C4 running gear under it.
Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom