Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare Tire Carrier ???

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
For an 81, has anyone ever actually had to use it?
Why ?...Because I can't imagine the OE sized tire from a 81 fitting in there!:(

I've never used my itty bitty spare tire, but I follow the advice of why I have insurance too..

"It's better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it" With AAA and other car club road assistance programs, this old saying may be a bit dated.. But at least I know it's there and ready if I do need it ;)

Bud

What I'm talking about it the spare tire (carrier)...I can't imagine the wide FULL size tire on the 81's will fit up in it...if needed.
Know what I mean?

its not a full size tire. full size stock tires were either 225/70/15 or 255/65/15 (or is that 60?)

either way, the spare in mine is a 195/70/15 i think. I'm sure on the 195 and 15, as i had to use mine last summer.

Flew out of detroit, and when i got back, one of the back tires was flat and missing some chunks of the tread. I could see the steel belts. :eek: Kickers were, i didn't have a jack, lug wrench, or air in the spare. I borrowed a jack from some kid, a lug wrench for airport staff, and they also provided me with air for the spare.

:crazy Ok, let me put it to ya this way...when you get a flat...where do ya put the flat tire???

Because I don't see the running tire fitting in that small spare tire carrier.

i dunno if it fits the tire carrier, i just tossed mine in the back

81 Corvette said:
i dunno if it fits the tire carrier, i just tossed mine in the back
Now were on the same page.;) as I don't think it would fit...beats me thats why I asked the question. Maybe someone knows for a fact if it will or won't.
tossing it in the back would be well....ewwwww.
Hope ya don't have any luggage back there...or you would have to leave something on the roadside.:eyerole

Ah :duh

Good question...:confused ;shrug

Bud

HammerDown said:
...or you would have to leave something on the roadside.:eyerole

Let's see... leave my original aluminum mag wheel by the roadside? No.

Leave my luggage by the roadside? No.

That just leaves kicking the passenger out. Yes! Brilliant. :L

i put the luggage, see duffle bag, on the passenger floor. The tire didn't make a mess. I'd be willing to bet it fits tho, but i didn't have a sock to properly remove the spare carrier hold on bolt, so i couldn't put the tire in it and close it. As it was, i had to force the carrier back into place after prying it open.

If you saw the tire, you be less concerned about the back getting dirty, and more thankful that it didn't blow while doing 70 on the highway.

spare tire trouble

yeah, my spare is one of those early 90's gm 105/40-14's. but it doesnt fit right. lol .the front driver side tire almost leaves the ground with it on. and i dont have a jack either. i put my amp in the jack storage area as to not cheapen the look of my car like some people (you know who you are).

yeah, my spare is one of those early 90's gm 105/40-14's. but it doesnt fit right. lol .the front driver side tire almost leaves the ground with it on. and i dont have a jack either. i put my amp in the jack storage area as to not cheapen the look of my car like some people (you know who you are).

yup..interesting point..you can of course carry the small spare in the under carrier..page 3-6 in the 81 owners manual says the take off tire/wheel can be temporarily carried in the carrier..if..deflated..and a diagram shows the placement..tho I don't get it..maybe the lower carrier parts don't get put back on..but it says and shows..it can be done.
I don't carry it at all..I do carry the AAA card, my Hagerty road service flat bed card, and a hi limit credit card.
BTW..i don't even have any of the spare carrier parts..let alone the small spare..if anyone has this stuff sitting around....let me know.
Nick

Once in a while I think about taking down the spare tire to see if there is any air in it. It's never been out. But like you said, that's what Hagerty is for.

Tom

A '78 spare tire carrier will hold a stock aluminum rim with a deflated P255-60-15 tire.

If I'm not mistaken, '75 or '76 was when GM went to a reduced size spare. Before that, you got a full size tire on a stock steel rally wheel.

The spare tire rim for my '78 was painted bright yellow. Looked sweet mounted on a dark blue car...:eyerole

AAA does all my away from home flat changing.

Once in a while I think about taking down the spare tire to see if there is any air in it. It's never been out.Tom

Wow..that is quite possibly original as left the factory air in that spare !!
Nick

I wonder what a bottle of Original St. Louis Corvette Factory air is bringing on ebay right now?

Tom

I wonder what a bottle of Original St. Louis Corvette Factory air is bringing on ebay right now?

Tom

No idea, but I may have the same thing. My spare looks like it's never been used. It's been out once or twice, but only because the carrier blocking me from getting to something. If it does still have the original air it's had quite a journey. It was in japan before it came here to NZ.

Why keep it on the car? It is adding weight and if you are unfortionate enough to use it in this age of mobile communication then you're really in for a dangerous ride!
That's why i removed mine :)

Greetings Peter

Why keep it on the car? It is adding weight and if you are unfortionate enough to use it in this age of mobile communication then you're really in for a dangerous ride!
That's why i removed mine :)

Greetings Peter
Hi..agree if close to home or town..but it depends where you are driving...here in the Western USA..you can be 150 miles from even a tiny one-horse town in the middle of the desert, ..and..with no cell service...hoping someone will come along in an hour or so..then, finding a tire...maybe, leaving the car to do that...it may be stripped or full of bullet holes. Flatbed tow vehicle..?? not likely. Some towns that are on the map..are only a collection of old ruins when you get there, tourists that think they will get gas there are out of luck. There are many stretches where you must have 250 miles of fuel on board to make it.
Nick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom