Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare

andrewc4

Corvette
1994 Polo Green Coupe
How long are you folks keeping your spares for before replacing them. I've got a 94 with the original spare, and it holds its rated pressure for at least a month. Should it be replaced, its twelve years old?

No, just keep it... unless you're thinking of running it for 500 miles.

The spare is pretty pricey. It only comes as an assembly and needs to be purchased from the dealer. Judging by what has been said in the press recently about tires needing to be replaced after so many years of use vs. mileage, I decided that my ten year old spare should be replaced. Apparently, although a tire may "look" ok, the rubber itself is not "ok" after so many years of sitting. I guess there have been cases of people putting an old spare on a car (the case I read about was a person putting on a full size spare, not a small one like on our cars) to drive to get a new tire and the tire shreds and the person crashes.

So, today I called my dealer to inquire about the price. The GM list for the spare is like $350. I get my parts from the dealer at wholesale price. So, I paid $263. You can get it shipped from GM Parts Direct for $250. The GM part number for the spare for my 96 is 10050959. I'd call your dealer to check if that is the same number for your car, but I'd bet it is the same.

I figure that it is like buying insurance. I may never need to use it, but it is nice to know that it will work properly if I ever need it.

Here is an article about tire age: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/14/C06-214622.htm

This is an article from November 2004: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-11-08-tire-date_x.htm

Nick

Just a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to test my spare. :(

It was almost at rated pressure and it worked well to get me home.

I hope I have some trashed cloths on if I get a flat in my 94. And then, trying to get the 275 or 285 flat tire in the rear. It looks like a better idea to just call a tow truck and flat bed it home. It was hard pulling it out with it up on jack stands, as I did just to get a good look at it.

The biggest enemy of rubber is light. The spare sees very little light so it should last a very long time. I have a 90 and am not in the least worried about my spare.

Glenn
:w

As ''davecO'' stated wear old clothes.It's a bear to get out,sucks to jack and really sucks to get the flat back in.As the 87 was my wifes car i almost set fire to it in anger.But vettes are living breathing things that have feelings.As to replacing the donut,i keep it .

Thanks for the replies.
A new problem has developed, this time when I checked it, the pressure had dropped and I noticed a bubbling where the rim of the wheel meets the rubber. Can it be remounted, or does it HAVE to be replaced?

andrewc4 said:
Thanks for the replies.
A new problem has developed, this time when I checked it, the pressure had dropped and I noticed a bubbling where the rim of the wheel meets the rubber. Can it be remounted, or does it HAVE to be replaced?

It would appear that the rubber is disintegrating, if that is the source of the bubbles. My spare has not lost pressure in 12 years (checked annually). Check around the junk yards in your area for a replacement tire/wheel. If you find a comparable tire, but the bolt pattern of the wheel doesn't match your vette, just mount it on your existing wheel. (Just hope a flat occurs in the wee hours as a spare on a vette is not very attractive.)

6speeder said:
(Just hope a flat occurs in the wee hours as a spare on a vette is not very attractive.)

;LOL I was embarrassed driving it ALL the way home.

Oh, and maybe you should put some old clothes in your emergency kit. I was dressed up for a business meeting when I got a flat... not good. :(

eliminating spare

I have removed my spare, replaced with a tire repair kit. However, does removing the spare also remove some rear end colision suport, both for the car and passengers?

Most of the rear collision support in fact. The spare delete option had another piece of steel frame welded in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom