Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark Plugs

mike82

Corvette
L82 Pace
i installed a set of AC-Delco rapid fire plugs in my '78 L-82 about 6-7 months ago. i pulled two plugs today (that i could get to easily) and they both looked liked they had been sprayed with white paint. is this plug too hot for my engine or is something else causing this? thanks in advance,,,,,mike

Could be.

Probably one of three things, or all of them, Yes plugs heat range to hot not correct for your engine, fuel mixture to lean . and timing retarded to far can cause over heating inside your cylinders. I might ask what made you pull two plugs anyway is it running bad.

Probably one of three things, or all of them, Yes plugs heat range to hot not correct for your engine, fuel mixture to lean . and timing retarded to far can cause over heating inside your cylinders. I might ask what made you pull two plugs anyway is it running bad.

yeah it runs like crap. i'll try to make a long story short. when i replaced the plugs w/wires, i also had the carb rebuilt, new condenser,coil ,ignition module,cap,rotor,fuel filter,vacuum advance. car would start right up and idle fine. oh yeah i also added dual exhaust,no cat(s). took the car for a spin,drove ok at first, but the more i drove it the worse the motor would run while driving. the car bogs,hesitates between 20-30 mph and 50-60 mph on level ground,doesn't bog between 40-50mph on level ground. if i go up an incline no matter how slight or steep the motor bogs no matter what. i gave up on rebuilt carb went with new one and installed new fuel pump. still runs the same. yes i've checked timing several times and it is correct(12 deg.@700 rpm). so anyway, last night, thought what the hell, i'll check the plugs. i pulled #1 & #3 and both were white at the electrodes . the electrodes are not damaged and the gap has remained the same 0.045. the plugs have about 2,000 mi. on them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom